Views
Helpful
Replies

GGSN 6.x or 7 on 6500 + MWAM

rsgamage1
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Is Catalyst 6500 (+MWAM) a good candidate to run as a GGSN?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5510/product_data_sheet0900aecd800f8965_ps708_Products_Data_Sheet.html indicates that MWAMs enable 6500 series switches to deliver application services such as GPRS. However, neither feature navigator nor any other product literature I could locate confirms this.

Any thoughts on this please?

6 Replies 6

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

Gateway GPRS support node (GGSN)-a gateway that provides mobile cell phone users access to a public data network (PDN) or specified private IP networks. The GGSN function is implemented via Cisco IOS software on the Cisco 7200 series router or on the Cisco Multi-Processor WAN Application Module (MWAM) installed in a Catalyst 6500 series switch or Cisco 7600 series Internet router. Cisco IOS GGSN Release 4.0 and later provides both the 2.5G GPRS and 3G UMTS GGSN functions.

Take a look at this url

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3y/12_3_14yu/configuration/guide/ggsn60_c.html

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Would like to know of your experience with these platforms as well. How would you compare a 6500 with a 7600 (with in the context of GPRS services)?

Hello!

I used to work with GGSN about 2 years ago, and I know that the customer did not wanted this to be implemented on 6500 but only on 7600 because of the overall better capacity of 7600 over 6500.Also the 7600 is more seen as a Service provider unit.

To be honest I think that the difference is not so big and it is more a marketing stuff that a technical one.

Cheers,

Calin

Hi Calin,

What about the price?

Thanks,

Hi!

Sorry for the late answer. I don't know the difference in price but is depending of the cards that you have in the chassis. So, a real estimation on the price you can get after you have a list of cards in each chassis.

Cheers,

Calin

Hi Calin,

Thanks once again for your response.

This question is about On-line Charging Services. I wonder whether there is any alternative to DCCA support on c7200 series to handle On-line Charging(Prepaid) services.

Any comments on this please?

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: