cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure 800-numbers?

aeriksson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! If I have both a normal main number and also an 1-800 number for incoming calls. How do I configure the 800 number so that it works in the IPT envíronment. Is it a translation pattern in Call Manager only or do I also need to change the Dial Peer POTS?

1 Reply 1

lfulgenzi
Level 7
Level 7

Typically, an 800 number is translated within the PSTN to a local 7 digit number. Your system should never see the 800 number, only the local 7 (or 10) digit number.

That being said, some carriers offer a service, which displays the 800 number being dialed on the incoming service (you may lose callerID name or number with this feature turned on). This allows people to know to keep conversations short since they're paying for it.

This service is not available on digital PRI services however. Not in Canada, anyways.

So the short answer is, no, you should not have to do anything different to get a toll free number to work, as long as it points to the same main number you have working. But you have to talk to your carrier to make sure and to see what options you have.