Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN QoS

ndeane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a quick question with regards to a centralised callmanager setup utilising broadband connections for the small offices.

am i right in saying that it is a Cisco recomendation to have the IP Phones and PC's in different VLANS. this then allows you to use private ip addressing and NAT for the PC's and public addressing for the IP phones ?

i know this may sound obvious or maybe even a bit vague.. apologies in advance

Thanks

Nathan

1 Reply 1

aaronkent
Level 1
Level 1

You will want to segment (IP-PHONES VLAN) your Phones into smaller VLANs maybe between 63 and 254 nodes. You will want your CallManagers and Unity on another segment at the centralized site, (VOICE-SERVERS VLAN) for security. Your PC's, should be in another segment (USER VLAN) for security. You can then assign VACL's and ACL's to avoid problems from PC's flowing over into the Voice and IP PHone VLANs.

If you plan to use the PC access port on the phones, then this is how to configure the switches. You will trunk to the phones using dot1q and set the native vlan to USER and the voice vlan to IP-PHONES. The PCs with then be plugged into the phones PC port for the access (native) vlan. Depending on your switch types you may want to setup manual QOS.