cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Power Failure causes Flash card issue

Hamdi Kadri
Level 1
Level 1

I am a network administrator for a big company and I am in charge for all the network and VoIP equipment.

The problem is that the VoIP routers we use, 2800 series, encounter big problems when a power failure happens. Flash card get easily corrupted and I should reupload the IOS image, check the filesystem and rescue the router every time, it takes 1 hour or so to do that.

I want to know if there is any practical solution to prevent these incidents or to quickly recover from it. The use of inverters is not very helpful because they dont last more than half an hour for all the equipment we have.

I appreciate any ideas you share with me.

4 Replies 4

rotem.shein
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Hamdi, other than UPS units there is not much to do.

What kind of error would you get (bus, software crash etc')

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

The phenomena is always the same, the router can't load the IOS, drops to rommon mode, then reboots automatically over and over again.

We use UPS units but they can't help when it happens at night or in the weekend.

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

How often does the flash card go bad? Every power outage?

Are you using the Cisco flash cards in the routers or other brand?

I've worked on a lot of routers and issues over the years and only seen 4 or 5 compact flash cards go bad over the past dozen years or so. I'm not saying they are not a problem, but if yours have problems that often maybe something else is going on effecting them?

Do you have applications reading/writing to the flash often or just the IOS image used while the router boots up?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

it doesn't happen "every" power outage, but it happens once or twice a year. This may be normal regarding he number of routers we use (hundreds).

the routers which were affected were used for VoIP (CCME).