cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"PRI Idle" timeslots always open with G729 configuration between 2 Meridian PBXs

Is it possible to configure support for the below described requriments with Cisco routers/devices?

Topology:

2 x Meridian SL-1 PBXes with a Cisco network between them to support the following requirements:

-QSIG CCS signaling, Euro ISDN, PRI net5

-The signaling channel (D-channel) is transparent (P2P)

-All B-channels (30) should be open towards the pbx’s in both ends

-No traffic to be sent over the wan  unless there is any calls going (spoofing)

-The pbx chooses which B-channel to use for a call, signals it, and the Cisco routers must then "unspoof" this channel

-Codec to be used G729

A collegue was suggesting this way to solve it:

-Configure all the channels on the PRI on the routers/gateways connected via PRI to the to be open permanently

-Congure timeslot 16 to 64kbps transparent

-Configure the othe timeslots to G729 and Voice Activity Detection to make sure no data will be transmitted unless there is any speach going over

Anyone configured anything simliar before?

I guess a challenge would be to have the timeslots open with g729 configured?

Best Regards

Ørnulf

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is a normal configuratio with Cisco routers. You should engage a reputable consultant to put it in practice.

Thats not an option and not much help. Its certanly not a very common configuration and TAC even could not give us any help on this.

I belive it is transparent CSS as described in this document I might need:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a96c1.shtml

With this post I was hoping for some feedback from other people that had done the same configuration incorporating Meridan PBXes and Cisco routers between like described above.

Best regards

Ørnulf

In any case, you probably do not need transparect CCS. It is only needed for non ISDN signaling, but you have ISDN. Just confgiure switch-type QSIG, and router will realy any message to the other side.

Paolo,

do you think that simply configuring switch-type QSIG would helps us achive the following requirements:

• Have all the channels beeing up and connected permanetly.
  • Have the timeslot 16 set to 64kbps transparency
  • Have the other timeslots set to G729 og Voice Activity Detection.  (Target: to have no data going across unless there is a call going across(voice) )

Our customer calls this feature PRI-IDLE on their Meridians.

BR

Ornulf

PS: some links I am looking at to see if this is what we can use for configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0/12_0x/feature/guide/tccs_7xk.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a96c1.shtml

Why you need the channels constanly open, as mentioned above,, if the PBX uses ISDN/Q.SIG, you don't need that.

Paolo,

thanx for your reply. Its not crystal clear, but our customer tells us its because they have a propritary CDR application that actually do billing on voice activation detection on the permanent open channels.

I know, a very odd case, but thats the requirments we are met with.

So again in short, we need to configure:

"PRI Idle": Permanently open timeslots open with G729 configuration on the PRI between Meridian PBXs and Cisco router:

Topology: Meridian PBX-PRI-Cisco router-WAN-Cisco router-PRI-Meridian PBX

• Have all the channels beeing up and connected permanetly.
  • Have the timeslot 16 set to 64kbps transparency
  • Have the other timeslots set to G729 og Voice Activity Detection. (Target: to have no data going across unless there is a call going across(voice) )

All inputs/suggestions to how to configure this on the Cisco routers are greatly appreciated.

BR

Ornulf

Yes very strange, so there is another peice of hardware that do billing based on voice dectection? Can you identify it, personally. Note however that assuming such a thing, it would work on regular PRI as well, when detecting the transition from idle B channel, to open-idle, to to open-voice.

That is because many customers often don't know exactly how things are done. They wouldn't be customer otherwise.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: