Dear Experts,

I have seen a rule in our Voice Gateway which is applied with 987654. i.e

voice translation-rule 1

rule 1 /987654/ //

!

!

voice translation-profile block

translate called 1

For this i have searched on Cisco Support Community and saw reply comments on the same too. But still it's bit confusing for me to understand the working of this rule in easy way.

Requesting to pls help me to understand the scenerio with practical example to understand the requirement or purpose of executing this rule...

thxns

3 Replies 3

babatunde_sanda
Level 1
Level 1

This rule is basicly saying  anytime anyone dial "987654" it will become no digits.

Translation rule is one of those fun topics in VOIP.  Its just like when you started learning subnetting.  You were probably like it is difficult.  But once you got it, you know it.

This is a good read.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a0080325e8e.shtml

Good thing about translation rules is before you apply it to anything on the router, you can test it.

Take for example your rule, see the results below.

voice translation-rule 1

rule 1 /987654/ //

R3#test voice translation-rule 1 987654

Matched with rule 1

Original number: 987654 Translated number:

Original number type: none      Translated number type: none

Original number plan: none      Translated number plan: none

Read the article and practise.  You will soon fall in love with the method.  Its one of those topics you have to read, digest and practice yourself.  Just like "subnetting"

When you see "called" that is the numbers dialed.

When you you "calling" That is the caller ID.

Cheers.

Dear Sanda,

Thanks ...!!! But as your replied "This rule is basicly saying  anytime anyone dial "987654" it will become no digits".

Question is -

1. why the digit 987654 only. 

2. why the rule is specific for no 987654.

3. why should anyone call 987654 ( infact he/they having so many choices for dialing random no).

Overall i am looking for logic behind the rule for 987654 digit only.

Thxns

Question is -

1. why the digit 987654 only.

Answer: Because this is what the rule is configured to match. syntax =  /match/ /change/

2. why the rule is specific for no 987654.

Answer: Because there is no regular expressions like beginning "^" or ending "$" or set (/ etc.

Whoever created that rule wanted to match exactly those numbers.  If he/ she had wanted to match other numbers, then he/she would have used regular expressions.

Say for instance.  I want to match anything after "9" then it will be something like

rule 1 /9…../  // notice I used dots (regular expression).  That way anything starting with 9 and any other numbers will match.

3. why should anyone call 987654 ( infact he/they having so many choices for dialing random no).

Answer:  why?  This is best answered by the rule creator.  He must have had a thought process.  It comes back to design.  The VOIP network this rule is in has a purpose for that "match" with the design.  I cannot answer this question.  No one can without knowing what the designer wanted to achieve or knowing the VOIP network requirement.  One thing we do know is that he/she wanted to match those exact numbers. 

Now where this rule is applied might not only be for dialed numbers (called), it could have been for caller-ID (calling) numbers.   

Overall i am looking for logic behind the rule for 987654 digit only.

Answer:  Logic behind the rule is to match the numbers exactly, and translate them. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: