Views
Helpful
Replies

Setup FXO with PSTN lines

luke.redd
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I'm new to VOIP here, and our company has decided to break into the VOIP market and eventually become certified. We have purchased a 2801 with CCME and CUE, and about 13 phones. I have installed a FXO card (VIC2-4FXO) into the router and would like to terminate our PSTN lines to it. My overall first goal is to setup the lines on the FXO card, and place each of the lines on all of the users phones, so they can push one of their line buttons and pick it up. I will then later get into parking extensions and other advanced features, but for now I just need to establish this basic phone setup.

Can anyone please help shed some light on this matter, especially the config for the FXO cards.

Thanks,

Luke

P.S. Currently, when I plug in a line to the FXO card and call the associated number, it rings once, and then the FXO terminates the call.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Luke

In order to make that call ring on multiple phones you just ahve to assign that dn to different phones. In that case it becomes a shared line between the phones.

For calling out through your FXO line from any of the phone, you need to have a pots dial peer configured e.g you can do just

dial-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern 9.T or 9......

port 1/1

Soon as user picks up the ip phone and dials 9 and the rest of the digits this dial peer will be matched and digits will be sent out through that line.

hope that helps

Javed

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

adesalu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Luke,

Let me just give you a little tidbit to get you started. I assume that you have already setup your phones with the shared line appearances already.

What you need to do for the FXO configuration is issue the following command under the voice port.

connection-plar opx <-- substitute your extension number here.

The reason you need this command is to instruct the router where to send the call when it comes in the fxo line.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800942a5.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk698/technologies_tech_note09186a00800e00d0.shtml

Ademola

Ademola,

Thank you for that info, that routed the call successfully to the extension. I have two questions now. How can I make that call ring on multiple phones, and also, how can I place that line on a users phone so they can pick it up and call out of the office.

Thanks,

Luke

Luke

In order to make that call ring on multiple phones you just ahve to assign that dn to different phones. In that case it becomes a shared line between the phones.

For calling out through your FXO line from any of the phone, you need to have a pots dial peer configured e.g you can do just

dial-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern 9.T or 9......

port 1/1

Soon as user picks up the ip phone and dials 9 and the rest of the digits this dial peer will be matched and digits will be sent out through that line.

hope that helps

Javed

Javed,

Thank you for the info, working great.

--Luke

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: