Views
Helpful
Replies

836, 2 issues ...

aklausner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I am currently deploying a network based on 836s. They mostly work fine but I have noticed 2 issues. The first one concerns the ISDN port. When the dsl go down, the ISDN doesnt always come up ( there is a backup statement on the atm interface ), the dialer goes out of standby but doesnt dial, moreover, when we try to shut/no shut the bri, it completely screws up the router, as the ISDN says there is no b-channel, a simple reload of the box solves the issue.

Second issue that I have is that the cpu shows a constant 100% load, while nothing is really going on on the box, and performance is as normal ( think it is a cosmectic bug more than anything else ). So ... has anyone of you already encountered these problems, can you help ? I dont have any debugs so far, but I will try to collect some...

thanks

Alain,

2 Replies 2

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Alian,

There are 2 things that you would want to look at regarding the backup issue.

1. Backup is dependent upon the interface going down. The router must detect that the primary interface line protocol is down for it to activate the backup link. Make sure that you do not issue a shutdown command on the primary interface to test the back up feature. This way the isdn interface will still be in the standby mode.

2. It is dependent upon interesting traffic to trigger the backup call. So, even if the backup interface comes out of standby

mode, the router will not trigger the backup call unless it receives interesting traffic for the bri interface.

Hello,

Unfortunately I already checked these 2 possibilities. The ATM is no shut and down/down, and I can see the bri come out of standby and the other one, traffic will be triggered by eigrp updates. I could observe the following though. When this phenomenon occurs I can see that the debugs show me unfound B-channel which would indicate a BRI failure, but right after I reboot the router, the calls are connected straighaway without any config change.... this is systematic, I wonder now, if there could be an issue with either the splitter ( maybe not "good" ones ), or the fact that I connect both the DSL line AND the ISDN backup to the same NT1 ( yes I know, not very clever, but we needed to cut costs down ... ).

thanks

Alain,