Views
Helpful
Replies

Call answered immediately to silence

Paul Williamson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Anyone else having any issues where the UC320 is answering calls immediately.  Configuration not changed from working normally and the box has just started to answer calls immediately - sometimes you here a ringing tone for approx half a second but other times no ring is heard at all.  The caller just receives silence.  Affects both FXO and SIP calls.

I've rebooted the unit and after about 10 mins or so, it now seems to be working normally again.

I've attached a copy of the syslog if this might help.

Regards,

Paul.

10 Replies 10

Paul Williamson
Level 1
Level 1

Strange, it's now gone back to answering calls itself - No one else experiencing this problem?

I've now done a factory reset then restored from backup and no improvement - it still answers calls immediately giving silence to the caller.

OK - Full list of what I've tried:

Forgot to say, the unit is running firmware 2.3.1(14) with caller ID Method (V5) PMF file active

I've removed the pmf file and it still doesn't work so I've put it back. 

I've also run impedance matching

done a factory reset and then restored from backup.

Is no-one else experiencing any similar problem?

Regards,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Where do you have inbound calls routed for the FXO?  I'll suggest opening a case with the Cisco Small Business Support Center so they can look at your configuation a little more closely.  I took a quick peek at your syslog file.  It will be really helpful for the Support Engineer if you enable each of your FXO ports on the log system (Status -> Support Tools -> Log).  This will give us detailed messaging for each port.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response.

I have the calls from the FXO routed to a hunt group.

There's only one FXO port in use and I have just made a test call to it - the log file is below with the FXO Port entries included.  It does exactly the same whether the call comes in over the FXO port or the SIP port.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Paul.

Message was edited to add the log as a file rather than text within the message by: Paul Williamson

OK - I've opened a support case with Cisco and think we've found what the problem is.  The PBX was answering and then immediately ending the call.

The engineer asked me to do a factory reset - configure a single extension and see if it worked as it should.  It did.  From there I slowly reconfigured the unit stage by stage until the behaviour repeated itself which it did when I added a hunt group. Removing the hunt group returns the unit to normal behaviour.  I then Added the extensions into the hunt group one by one and it turns out that when I add the FXS extension into the hunt group the unit answers and then immediately hangs up the call.

The reason it appeared that the call was answering to silence was that the PSTN was holding the line open from the callers end but if a SIP call was made it was noticed that the call was actually hanging up.

I've reported the FXS extension problem back to the Cisco engineer (left a message on his answering service as it was after hours when I discovered the full nature of the problem) and hopefully they will continue to investigate.  I plan to try another telephone on the FXS extension to rule out that it could be a problem with the telephone plugged into the FXS port.

Hope this is useful to anyone who also experiences any similar problem.

Regards,

Paul.

Just an update:

Cisco are still looking into this - I have tried another phone in the FXS port and no different.  Cisco have confirmed a bug and now taken a full copy of my config so they can re-create my setup in the Lab to try find a fix.

This is taking a while but I have to say that overall I remain impressed with the way Cisco deal with bugs and I hope that a fix will be found soon.  I'll let the forum know how it turns out.

Regards,

Paul.

Further update:

Hmmmm......

Little less impressed now.  I haven't heard anything since the 2nd October when I was asked a question which I responded to the same day.  I emailed again on the 17th October asking if there was any update and haven't received any response at all.

Emailed again just now so will keep the group posted with any response or lack of response.

Regards,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

The case has been escalated and the engineer should be in touch shortly.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Everything is back to the usual high quality cisco service.  The engineer was in touch with me yesterday and couldn't reproduce the problems I was experiencing so they have arranged for a replacment unit to be sent out to me.

Regards,

Paul.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: