Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SPA-504G: From header information not shown on Anonymous call

derksbart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a very annoying problem with the Cisco SPA-5XX models. As soon as an incoming call is Anonymous, the information in the From header is not being displayed on the phone. This is annoying because this From header contains information from, for example, the Hunt Group the call is coming from and is useful for the customer using the phone.

We are using a Broadsoft environment and tested with the SPA-504G with firmware 7.4.9c.

When I have an incoming call which is not anonymous the From is:

From: "BD Test  -  06206XXXXX"<sip:06206XXXXX@172.31.160.130;user=phone>;tag=1121026554-1333546784101-

The phone displays "BD Test - 06206XXXXX" which is good! When I have an incoming call which is anonymous the From is:

From: "BD Test  -  Anonymous"<sip:anonymous@anonymous.invalid>;tag=1722494893-1333546804591-

But now the phone only displays Anonymous and not the "BD Test" part. There is no PAID or RPID header in these INVITE's.

I searched for this problem on the forum and I found a couple of entries which describe the same issue but no solution.

Anyone that confirm this is a problem with the current firmware or is there some sort of setting in the phone that I'm missing?

Response is appreciated.

Regards,

Bart Derks

10 Replies 10

I think that this is the normal behaviour according to RFC recommendation.

If a caller is presented as anonymous no other informations must be displayed.

But this is my personal idea.

Regards.

Do you known the RFC chapter that describes this?

I never experienced this with any SIP device I used (Polycom, Aastra, Snom, Yealink, Grandstream, Counterpath, etc. etc.).

So I'm really thinking this is incorrect behaviour of the Cisco.

Regards,

Bart

Check the configuration parameter "Caller_ID_Header" for the phone. Probably you are not showing the information from the From: Header.

It should be on the Web GUI Voice->SIP->SIP Parameters

Joao

That setting is showing From header. And that's also working if I don't call anonymous. But calling in anonymous just shows Anonymous Caller, not the information in the From header.

Bart

I guess that since the Privacy Header is present, the phone ignores the presence of the From: field.

I don't have present the RFCs regarding privacy, but the bahviour your describe seems that are following the privacy RFCs.

Joao

There is no Privacy header in the INVITE to the phone since BroadWorks strips this header out together with all the privacy related information.

So it looks like the phone is being trigged to display only 'Anonymous Caller' by 'Anonymous' in the SIP Display Name of the From header or by the 'anonymous@anonymous.invalid' in the SIP URI of the From header.

Looking at RFC3323 I don't find any references for what the phone should display.

Maybe someone from Cisco can clarify this? What's the best way to report this to Cisco officially for further investigation or clarification?

Regards,

Bart

Hi,

Did you find a way to solve the problem?

I have the exactly the same problem!

Best regards,

Joost Lauwen

Hi Joost,

Unfortunately not but I also must admit that I never submitted a ticket with Cisco to look into this. So at the moment we still have this problem and no workaround.

We also discovered that the Panasonic SIP phones have this same 'issue'.

Regards,

Bart

Joost Lauwen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Bart,

I've noticed that is only a problem with Cisco SPA-phones.

When using EyeBeam, X-lite, Polycom IP-550. The problem does not exist.

If i have an answer, i'll keep you informed.

Regards,

Joost

jon_paior
Level 1
Level 1

I did log a cisco ticket and got no response, however I think in the 7.5.4 firmware they fixed it:

This is now resolved with the settings:

admin/advanced

sip --> Display Anonymous From Header: (set to yes)