cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default Character Encoding Cisco SPA 303

Aleksey Smirnov
Level 1
Level 1

When I set Default Character Encoding in the web config (or by provisioning .xml config file) to UTF-8, after pressing Submit All Changes phone reboots.

After reboot the setting goes back to ISO-8859-1 and russian dictionary does'nt work.

Software Version:    7.5.4

After patching to version 7.5.6a or 7.5.6(XU) Default Character Encoding saves, but phone does'nt download dictionary.

Please help to resolve this problem.

5 Replies 5

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Please disclose exact value you configured into Dictionary Server Script, Language Selection, Default Character Encoding, Locale configuration options.

Also, describe the issue you have.

"phone does'nt download dictionary" is not the issue. Dictionary is saved once loaded and it survive not only reboots but also firmware upgrades. Same dictionary is not loaded twice.

Note that questions related to SPA 303 better fit into SPA IP Phones community. I asked moderators team to move it.

With SW 7.5.4

Dictionary Server Script serv=http://ats.sever.ru/cisco/;d0=English;x0=spa50x_30x_en_v754.xml;d1=Russian;x1=spa50x_30x_ru_v754.xml

Language Selection Russian

Default Character Encoding  after reboot goes to ISO-8859-1

Locale ru-RU

With SW 7.5.6a and 7.5.6(XU)

Dictionary Server Script serv=http://ats.sever.ru/cisco/;d0=English;x0=spa50x_30x_en_v756.xml;d1=Russian;x1=spa50x_30x_ru_v756.xml

Language Selection Russian

Default Character Encoding  UTF-8

Locale ru-RU

But language on the phone is English anyway.

Note that ats.sever.ru is unresolvable to me, so unless you intentionally obfuscated server's name the dictionaries can't be loaded.

Assuming the dictionary server is resolvable and reachable to you ...

.. I tried it by self (using own dictionary server) on my SPA508G running 7.5.7. At the first I found following comment in my provisioning file generator:

//Don't set Default_Character_Encoding. It's selected automagically during Language_Selection. Our settings will be silently reverted to automagic defaults and will trigger restart of phone every resync

I don't remember details - what's problem has been with it nor the firmware version I used at the time of tests, but and I'm following my own advice - I'm not touching both Default Character Encoding and Locale regardless the current firmware version.

... so I just added d7=Russian;x7=spa50x_30x_ru_v756.xml to the end of my Dictionary Server Script and changed Language Selection to Russian

Phone has rebooted few times, some of reboots has been caused by system abend (signal 10 either in Call Control process or during parse of provisioning file), but finally it booted and it have Russian menu just now. Those abends may not hit you - I tried it on phone with rather complex configuration, you should try it on phone in as much "factory default" configuration as possible instead.

Conclusion ? There seems to be a bug in firmware related to RU localization, but it may or may not affect you.

Please turn on syslog&debug (highest level) and capture the messages. It may reveal more.

Be careful playing with language settings. It may brick your phone with no chance to repair. See

I've set in the xml config <Language_Selection ua="rw">Russian</Language_Selection>, change language manually on phone to English then back to Russian and it work's. Charset set's automatically to UTF-8, text and menu is on Russian.

Problem solved. Thanks.

Glad to hear. Consider flag thread as answered (or rate). It may help others to found solutions.

How can i clean dictionary that was loaded before?

You can't. Even reset to factory default seems not to delete saved dictionary. Saved dictionary will be overwritten by load of other dictionary only. Dictionary is considered "same" as long as it have the same name. So if you wish to replace a dictionary with new version, you need to change file name.