Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 Support for SPA series devices?

reuben.farrelly
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What (if any) plans are there for IPv6 support for the SPA series units to support IPv6 addressing and IPv6 SIP server connectivity?

The LAN I manage here is fully IPv6 enabled, and my VoIP service provider is looking to provide IPv6 SIP server connectivity in the coming few months, so it would make sense for me to be able to use my phone over IPv6 as well...

Thanks,

Reuben

9 Replies 9

peter.gervai
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, I didn't hear it clearly, what did you, Cisco, replied?

Apparently it's on the roadmap for 2012, so with a bit of luck we'll see it some time then:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2113913

Oh, whoops, it's already 2013! 

Seriously though, an update on where this feature request got to would be appreciated - is there anyone at Cisco who can give us an update?.  Perhaps there's a version 8.0 of software for these phones about to be released with new support or something?  v7 has been out there a while now.

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

benjyking
Level 1
Level 1

Come on Cisco, remove your thumb from your WIC slot, tell us when we will have v6 on the SPA, aren't you embarrassed?!?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

ConradPino
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to expand my SPA product use and IPv6 support is helpful.

Of the multiple IPv6 transition mechanisms available I vote for

1. 6to4 - it's easily self configuring
  2. 6in4 - it's easy for preassigned IPv6

in the above order for initial release in SPA firmware.

Conrad T. Pino

I would be happy to have native IPv6 without any tunnelling supported first of all.

Leave any 6to4 or 6in4 to your router to do, and let your phone just function as a phone without the complexity of any tunnelling mechanism being coded into the handset.

Agreed, you've pointed out the necessary starting point.

The router suggestion is entirely appropriate and economical path for medium sized business and upwards markets.

I hope automatic 6to4 tunneling support eventually appears to radically open up the home to small business markets.

Can you present one example of home or SMB customer with no IPv6 connectivity trying to connect to IPv6 only exchange ?

I suspect there will not be real user of such feature on the world. Or are you the first one ?

Automatic IPv6 tuneling will be source of connectivity problems for unskilled home users and possible security risk only.

Time Warner Cable AND Comcast (2 of the largest ISP's in the US) both have enabled IPV6 (without tunneling) on all of there customers. I have many hosted pbx customers on both ISP's that connect to my datacenters. My datacenters have IPV6 address assigned to me by ARIN. Real world use I would like phones registered to my equipment to be directly addressable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: