cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Killing a Firmware update that is frozen

terri00011
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco SPA 303 IP Phone.  I started a firmware download 2 days ago and it is frozen in download mode.  All attempts to reboot/restart have failed.  The Admin password also does not work to do a factory reset.  Any advice? 

3 Replies 3

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello terri00011,

Is the phone currently showing S.O.S recovery mode?

If it is not take the phone off the network for a few minutes then retry to start the firmware upgrade.

If the phone is showing S.O.S recovery mode use the recovery software.  The recovery file is in the zip folder of the firmware download available here:  https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283104997&softwareid=282463651&release=7.5.3&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Hope this helps,

Michael D.

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

Reading your problem description something caught my attention.

Is this a brand new unit? Was it purchased from a retailer or given to you by your Service Provider?

I only asked because it seems like the unit is locked, maybe it is provisioned? The phone comes with no admin password by default so you should have no issue factory resetting the device.

If the unit is locked by a provider then it will be very little that can be done on the unit if anything at all.

Please confirm.

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello terri00011,

I am follow up to see if my post help resolved/answered the question in regards to your issue.  If this post if helpful please rate or mark as correct.  If you have additional questions please let me know.

Thank you,

Michael D.