cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Line apperance

jon.kelly
Level 1
Level 1

Can anybody help point me with the following??

I have a UC560 and several SPA525G phones.   I would like the users extension to show up on multiple lines.  This makes it easier for the users to switch back an forth between calls that they have on hold. 

So for example, currently the users extension (say 204), currently shows up on button 1.  I would like for multiple instances of extension 204 to show up on buttons 1-5.  The first call would ring in on the first line (button 1) the second call on line 2 (button 2), etc.

I have set up a SPA9000 with SPA900 series phone and this is the default configuration.   Just not sure what needs to be done on the UC560 to accomplish the same thing.

Thanks,

Jon

6 Replies 6

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use a config such as:

ephone-dn 1 dual-line

number 204

huntstop channel

no huntstop

ephone-dn 2 dual-line

number 204

preference 1

huntstop channel

no huntstop

ephone-dn 3 dual-line

number 204

preference 2

huntstop channel

no huntstop

ephone-dn 4 dual-line

number 204

preference 3

huntstop channel

no huntstop

ephone-dn 5 dual-line

number 204

preference 4

huntstop channel

ephone 1

button 1:1 2:2 3:3 4:4 5:5

ephone 2

button 1:1 2:2 3:3 4:4 5:5

Hope this helps.

Brandon

According to Cisco, you are not allowed to use CLI.....

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can create a SHARED line on any phone in CCA Configuration Drawer:  Telephony> Voice> User Extension tab, then assign that SHARE extension and label to other phones to get the key system like function on the UC500 IP-PBX (Hold and pickup from another phone that has the share).  This basic implementation of one Shared extension will handle one call at a time.

In the latest SWP for UC500 (8.0.4) and CCA (2.2.5) due out Friday, we introduced the capability to configure shared Octal Line extensions, but this requires a higher end Cisco IP Phone (79xx series that handle Octal Line).  In this case, built the same way, except the Octal line checkbox is selected for the Shared Button.  Now that Shared line can be assigned to any Octal Line and it will work as stated above but will handle up to 8 calls.  Octal Lines also lend themselves to a feature now configurable in CCA 2.2.5 called C-Barge (and Privacy), where phones with the share can see the identity of the person on the share and can conference themselves into the call.  Also Whisper Intercom can be configure on Octal Lines.

If you don’t have Octal line capable phones, then something you can do with Shares is build them into an OVERLAY...

Showing an example here where you build  5 Shared line extension on one phone that has 5 buttons (need a button for each share on One phone), then CF Busy sequentially to the next in the list of Shares with CCA.  Once they are created,  assign an overlay using ALL these extensions and assign that single button to the other phones.  This way you can handle up to 5 calls and its kinda like a hunt group.   Note however, when placing on hold, only the receptionist with all the buttons and the answering station can hold resume between one another.

Example:

Button       Type    /Ext.  / Label  /Call Forward

Button 2 – Share / 281 / LDN  /CFBL -> 282

Button 3 – Share / 282 / LDN  /CFBL -> 283

Button 2 – Share / 283 / LDN  /CFBL -> 284

Button 2 – Share / 284 / LDN  /CFBL -> 285

Button 2 – Share / 285 / LDN  /CFBL -> 400 (voice mail) <-- a General Delivery Mailbox all member phones can access.

(see first picture)

Now assign an OVERLAY button to other phones.  In my case I am assigning it to phones with primary extensions: 206, 207, 208, 213

Each of these phones as ONE OVERLAY button assigned encapsulating all the shared lines.

(see sendond picture)

So you have some choices.  But remember that the IP-PBX lends itself to hunt groups (no buttons required) where member phones are assigned to any one of the hunt group algorithms (Longest Idle, Peer (circular), Sequential or blast (Parallel), and then they can PARK a call and any member can PICK UP the parked call.   This may require some retraining of your end user, but is a very simple implementation

Until CCA 3.0 allows us to build phantom extensions (no phone, no user) I need a way to bridge the gap between the CLI overlay design to the CCA shared overlay design described here.  For instance, what if the receptionist did not want each shared line on it's own button?  How would we build the shared lines to overlay in the first place?  Maybe follow your steps , then circle back around to the reception phone and remove the shared buttons and create an overlay shared button like we do for the other users?

I think hunt groups are great- except users usually want to know how to answer the incoming call- whether it be for their desk ( hi this is stacy) or as a member of the 'accounting' hunt group ( accounts payable how can i help you).  Is there a way that a member of any hunt type ( blast or otherwise) can tell the difference between personal extension calls and hunt calls?  With CCA 2.2(5), it sounds like the hunt member will see Hlog upon those incoming calls- but not their own personal calls?

I feel like I know how to do any scenario in CLI, but I am having to adjust my thinking to what CCA will allow me to design & configure...

Stacy

Since everything has to be done via CCA, wouldn't a "this is how you do commonly used dial/button plans via CCA Guide" be VERY valuable?

Dear Cisco (hopefully someone besides poor Steve reads this - it seems like poor Steve is the only one defending CCA), the advantage of CLI is that we can google pretty much any dial/button scenario and get the CLI to perform it, but CCA is more like a beg, pray, retry, retry, post on this board, call support and then tell the customer it can't be done method.

And, I'm not talking about a guide that tells you what you can and can't do, I'm talking about a feature guide that gives examples and common scenarios such as those posted on this board. When you look up a CLI command, there is typically examples to help with the learning curve, but with CCA, I have found no such similarity - in fact the CCA online help is very lacking with some features simply listed as a yes/no with no explanation of what yes or no does....

The CCA team keeps thinking that all these "small" installs/customers (for some of us a 100 user/phone install is NOT small) can be squeezed into a "standard" design- the old square peg in a round hole analogy. If they think/believe such a thing, then they should easily be able to come up with an example design guide with most/all of the typical designs- especially since CCA is limited in what it can do.

Maybe with CCA 6.0 such a dream can come true......

Hi Michael,

We have been thinking similar thoughts.   For a test balloon, would you mind giving feedback on this document we just started?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13039  (look past the 54 minute demo since that is just there since it was a good place for it, to the Shared Line video (3 minutes).

What we were thinking of doing, is making a table of contents in this document, with a list of common tasks that can be done, and then linking in this kind of video (2-3 minutes) showing the CCA config and then the actual use case or operation.

It would be something that we can decide how to staff inside Cisco, and I know for sure that we can leverage more resources than just me ;-)

Having someone like you give your feedback (and it can be, bad idea, do this instead) would be very valuable.

When we built the Office demo it was more driven from what we can do and what was new, and less about going through: Requirement; use case, solution, technical implementation....

Please let me know what you think.

Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: