Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with SPA501g Timeout Ringing

blades1233
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have an Cisco SPA501g IP phone which is connected to my home router.

When  the phone rings it only does for 60 seconds then goes to voicemail. I  need to extend the ringing tomeout, but I can't see an option anywhere.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You may have active CFNR supplemental service or it's matter of configuration of PBX where your's device is registered to.

Ask your VoIP operator for help.

I have asked my VoIP operator but they couldn't find anything about it. Plus they don't use Cisco themselves.

All I have to manage the phone is the Cisco web interface (Configuration utility).

If you Telco will stop ring yours device after 60 seconds (and deflect incomming call to it's voicemail), then your device can't ring anymore. It has nothing to do with the vendor of your device nor the vendor of telco's PBX.

OK. Let stop making hypothesis. We need the capture of the SIP dialog between your Telco and your's device catching the call (not answered call). It will reveal who is stopping the bells.

The syslog and debug log may help to analyse the issue as well:

Thanks for your reply.

However it all seems a bit above my capitiablies. All I have is a web interface, I have download Wireshark but have no idea what to do with it.

My VoIP providers says that it may be the maximum time the phone can ring for. As there is no ring timeout setting in the web interface.

OK, we will try to assume it's limit on your side. Open "Regional" tab, look at Distinctive Ring Patterns, Cadence N

If there is a number '60' in the front of option value, then you hit options you are searching for. Change it to other value or to * (neverending) according your wishes.

Hope it help.

Mark thread as answered if it will solve your problem.

Been following this thread and sorry but I can't for the life of me understand why you would want your phone to ring for more than 60 seconds when someone calls you.

Most people will hang up far before 60 seconds is reached so wouldn't you rather your voice mail at least has a chance to get a message from them first?

60 seconds is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of at least 12 rings. Most people I think hangup and think something is wrong with your phone if a person or voice mail doesn't answer within 5 or 6 rings.

Whatever is causing your configuration to stop ringing after 60 seconds should be found and backed off to say 25-45 seconds before going to voice mail, not extended even longer.

Maybe I missed something here, just checking :-)

We need the phone to ring for longer as it's a business line and we have hold music until someone can answer the call.

I see, that makes more sense. Music on hold allows people to be a little more patient :-)