cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network topology/Setup 2

keithouellette
Level 1
Level 1

Although my question is related to the original "Netowrk topology/setup" discussion, my case was not specifically asked. Employees from my site VPN into our site to access services and data remotely. For that we are using a Cisco RV042., sufficient for our needs. When we recently moved, our new location did not provide phones, so we purchased the UC320W. I connected the LAN port of the UC320W to our existing LAN and gave it a static IP with gateway (the RV042). I also enabled the wifi and that works fine. I do not have anything "plugged" into the WAN port as I am not using it for internet access.

However, the time is incorrect on the UC320 and all the SPA303 phones. I did not see any settings for an NTP server. So I assumed that it was not getting out to thei internet. I logged into the UC320 and did a ping an external address, it came back with an error saying that no IP was assigned to the WAN. My question is, does the unit not use the gateway address we have to define when using it in that mode?

Thanks,

Keith

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The WAN port is THE default gateway whether connected or not.  A Cisco Small Business NTP server IP is automatically preconfigured in the device.  If you have a directly connected LAN side NTP server you may use the NTP PMF (See the  PMF doc on the community).  If not, you may set the time of day clock by setting the time and date on a SPA phone LCD screen.  It will then be pushed to the UC320 and other phones if there is no NTP connectivity.

A number of customers have connected their WAN port to a DMZ port to help bypass this problem.

Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

rowseyba1
Level 1
Level 1

Keith,

My opinion on this would be no.  I've set up the UC320 in the way that you describe(it's my lab UC320).  Even though I was putting it behind a router that I am using for internet access, I put the IP address on the WAN port.  I was able to get to the internet and I was able to NAT my SIP trunks directly to the UC320. This also allows me to break off my voice traffic into a different VLAN since the UC is handling DHCP for my phones. I can control QoS better this way.

Hi,

The WAN port is THE default gateway whether connected or not.  A Cisco Small Business NTP server IP is automatically preconfigured in the device.  If you have a directly connected LAN side NTP server you may use the NTP PMF (See the  PMF doc on the community).  If not, you may set the time of day clock by setting the time and date on a SPA phone LCD screen.  It will then be pushed to the UC320 and other phones if there is no NTP connectivity.

A number of customers have connected their WAN port to a DMZ port to help bypass this problem.

Chris

Thank you Chris! I will take setting the date and time using the phone for the office. That worked for me. Out of curiousity, why is the gateway configuration option there when configuring for an external dhcp server. It is a bit confusing, but this works for me.