Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing Cisco IP Phone with New one

Hi every body,

This is probably not possible but I would like to know if there is a backdoor:

We have a Cisco IP phone configured and working in the office. The phone headset

and some buttons are broken but the dickhead admin does not want to change the phone.

For some reasons, I do not want to nag on him for this broken phone. You may call it

prestige.

If I buy new Cisco IP phone with the same brand, is it possible to have it registered

with CUCM? I think the Mac-address of the new IP phone would be a problem as

there is no SEP <New Mac-adress> in TFTP.

I will be much appreciated for your answers, comments or solutions.

J

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Talk to the CUCM admin first before you buy.  Maybe he doesn't want to replace the faulty phone because he doesn't have anything to spare or he doesn't have any budget to replace it.  

But if you buy it, the same model and the same hardware revision number, then I'm sure he'll be happy to add your new phone.

You dig it up.

No I am sure he would not do it. We tried once through another staff but he is a real jerk. As simple as this.

Now do you have any solutions or backdoor?

J

Now do you have any solutions or backdoor?

Not unless you've got the CUCM password.

I was under the same assumption.

CUCM password is a very shadow and cheap solutions.

J

Jerry Paul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Yes it is possible, you can register the MAC address of old IP phone to new one. Then you can register new IP phone with CUCM.

To get IT Hardware Equipment visit us at: www.thenetworkhardware.com

I agree with Leo's posting, but out of curiosity, how would you "register the MAC address of old IP phone to new one"?

Well, if we have a piece of hardware sitting between IP Phone NIC and RJ45 Network cable and change the Mac address the network see, then it should be possible.

But what happens to SEP< Old Mac address> file? Shall we first fetch the old one alter in to the new IP Phone Mac Address (SEP<New Mac address>) and upload it to the new IP Phone?