cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spa 112 phone port is not ready

gyorgymiszti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i just bought myself an spa112 so i can connect my telephone to my broadband switch. The power LED is steady green and seems to be fine. The internet LED is also steady green. However, my phone1 port LED is not turned on at all. When i call "****" on my phone it starts blinking (since im guessing my phone can connect to the spa112) and i can change the settings i want to. But if i try to call any other number it only starts the call, and then becomes silent. I cant call anything, and cant call the telephone. I have tried to reset the spa112 several times, first through the reset button on the back, then through the IVR menu. None of theese seem to change anything. I have even tried to change the internet connection type from DHCP to static ip, thinking it would change anything, but it has not. Can anyone help me?

8 Replies 8

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Power and network connection is not enough. VoIP part needs to be configured as well. But you decided to keel secret all details, so it's hard to advise.

As a blind shot - you have dial tone, but no once once dialed. I suspect NAT or firewall influence.

How do i configure the voip then? I thought it was just plug and play. I have no clue of how theese things work, as i had a router before that handled all of this. Now it is going straight to my broadband switch.

SPA112 pre-configured for particular provider may be plug&play. Retail unit have no chance to know which provider (there are many thousands VoIP providers worldwide)  provide service to you. At least IP address of proxy of your VoIP provider, name and password needs to be configured. Particular VoIP pro0vider may have other requirements as well. Follow providers documentation.

But you said:

if i try to call any other number it only starts the call, and then becomes silent.

"starts call" - I assume it mean you dialed a number. It mean you got dial tone first. True ?

I'm asking because "dial tone" mean "phone has been successfully registered to VoIP provider". It in turn mean phone have basic configuration of VoIP.

Yes, i get a short tone for maybe 3 seconds, but it never starts "beeping" as if it is calling the phone. After that short 3 second tone the phone becomes silent. Then, a few seconds later it starts acting as if i picked up the phone, and starts a timer on the phone as if i was in a call, but it is still dead silent.

It doesn't sound like dial tone. No dial tone mean "not ready to accept dialing". Assumed cause is - phone is not registered to a VoIP provider. Probably because phone is not configured at all.

Unfortunately, it's nothing we can guess in full. Well, we may guess IP address of proxy if you will disclose name of the provider you are using. But no way to guess name and password. Unless you know credentials, you should contact VoIP provider for help.

Yes, i get a short tone for maybe 3 seconds, but it never starts "beeping" as if it is calling the phone. After that short 3 second tone the phone becomes silent. Then, a few seconds later it starts acting as if i picked up the phone, and starts a timer on the phone as if i was in a call, but it is still dead silent.

It is also good to note i guess that the phone port led on my spa112 starts blinking as i make the phone call. But it never stays green. Otherwise it just stays off

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@gyorgymiszti wrote:

But if i try to call any other number it only starts the call, and then becomes silent.

I am going to presume you haven't done any configuration on the SPA?

I use this simple guide (LINK) for my SPA 122. 

Make sure you have the username/password (of the SIP account) ready.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: