cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA 303 will register wired but not wireless

jbdough01
Level 1
Level 1

I had my SPA 303 working wired just fine for over a year, and for a few months with the Cisco IEEE 802.11n 130 Mbit/s Wireless Bridge.

Then I could not get past "Checking DNS"

Going through recommended steps - firmware upgrade over wired connection instead of wireless; my phone registered almost immediately when I plugged in the ethernet cable.

With the phone still powered up, I could swap out the ethernet for wireless and maintain the connection to the SIP server, but cannot complete a handshake over wifi anymore.

I'm looking for config recommendations specific to optimizing the SPA 303 for wireless.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

According your description, you have no issue with SPA303 itself. It works over wired unless I misunderstood you.

So it seems to be rather a WBPN issue. Unfortunately, your descriotion is so brief to make hypothesis.

Is the WBPN associated to the AP ?

Has been DHCP server asked for IP address ?

What's the running Network configuration of the SPA303 in question ? The casual phone's menu should be accesible even during "Checking DNS" phase.

Can you ping the phone from other computer ?

You mentioned no firmware version, so I assume you are using the latest one (7.6.1)

Is the WBPN reachable from phone's menu (WiFi Configuration menu item)? What's the wireles status (Wireless Status submenu of WiFi Configuration menu) ?

I could swap out the ethernet for wireless and maintain the connection to the SIP server, but cannot complete a handshake over wifi anymore

Sorry, I don't know what you mean "hanshake" here. You claimed the connection to SIP server is maintained - and it's most important connection for SIP phone.

As a blind shot that may not help, but should not harm, you may reset WPBN to factory default and configure it from scratch. Follow Cisco WBPN ([W]ireless [B]ridge for SPA [P]hones wifi-[N])

I'm looking for config recommendations specific to optimizing the SPA 303 for wireless.

No specific configuration for wireless. WBPN is transparent network bridge. Phone need not take any specific arrangements to send or receive packets over it.

static IP - WBPN worked immediately when I plugged it in, and weirdly is working right now.

The config recommendations I thought might be helpful would be on the phone itself, like jitter and a bunch of others I don't really know much about.

I could use the web interface and ping the phone while it was unable to connect -

By "handshake" I mean becoming registered with my SIP provider. (Proxy) 

The last progress message you'll see after "Iinitilizing Network" and

before it connects is "Checking DNS."  I am using Google's public 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4

I don't know if this question is on topic - forgive me if not,

but is the SPA 303 hardwired to look for a DNS for the proxy field, or should it connect if I entered the proxy's IP instead of domain name?

Yes, I could use the menu on the phone.

As a blind shot that may not help, but should not harm, you may reset WPBN to factory default and configure it from scratch. Follow Cisco WBPN ([W]ireless [B]ridge for SPA [P]hones wifi-[N])

No specific configuration for wireless. WBPN is transparent network bridge. Phone need not take any specific arrangements to send or receive packets over it.

Not sure - but your blind shot suggestion as I understand it would seem to contradict itself.

I could use the web interface and ping the phone while it was unable to connect

You can ping it from other computer over wireless bridge ? Then I see no issue with either phone nor wireless bridge.

Unfortunatelly, with no SIP packets captured and no phone's syslog&debug it's hard to guess.

but is the SPA 303 hardwired to look for a DNS for the proxy field, or should it connect if I entered the proxy's IP instead of domain name?

There has been issues with FQDN in proxy field observed in the past. I'm not aware they has been solved. You should consider IP address.

Also, Google's DNS servers should be considered choice of "last resort". You should use nearest DNS servers. But with IP addresses instead of names in phone's configuration the phone should not depend on DNS anymore.

Thanks Dan - that's useful information.

Google is probably not too far away - but I probably could find something closer.

Odds are good there's a DNS within a 10 minute walk ... then Portland, then Seattle.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: