cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320W Analog & Distinctive Ring

rpclarke26
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at using the 320W for a customer and I am curious how I can solve this issue without using the SPA8800.

There are 2 analog devices that we want to use, FAX and a regular analog mobile phone.

Right now our provider has the fax line as a distinctive ring.

If we continue with a single line installation with the distinctive ring to the UCW, can I configure the 320 to have a distinctive ring on the analog port on the 320, AND have a normal ring on the analog port for when its used as an extension for the mobile phone?

So this way if a fax comes in on the distinctive ring the fax will answer, but use the same port for a normal ring for a person to answer?

And if not, can I configure the 320 to ignore a distinctive ring on the input so I can place the fax on the line before the 320?

Thanks in advance!

Paul Clarke

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I did a quick test of the ComSwitch solution mentioned above and it appeared to work using this configuration:

POTS Line >>> Line In Port of ComSwitch 7500

Phone Port of ComSwitch 7500 to FXO 1 of UC320W

Fax Port of ComSwitch 7500 to Phone In line 1 of HP Officejet Pro L7580 Multi-Function Printer

FXS Port of UC320W to Analog Phone

Was able to make and receive inbound and outbound calls from Analog Phone to POTS number or via Broadvoice using the SIP and send and receive a fax from/to the multi-function printer. The ComSwitch is configured for distinctive ring with ring 1 to phone and double ring to the fax port. Works like a charm, but your milage may vary.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

pingme2day
Level 1
Level 1

I haven't tried this solution myself but was going to give it a go soon, however you might try using Command Communication's ComSwitch which will recognize dial tone and fax tones and pass the call to the correct device. I think the company went out of business, however the product is readily available at various outlets. (Google is your friend) Good luck an let folks know if you are able to make this or another solution work.

I did a quick test of the ComSwitch solution mentioned above and it appeared to work using this configuration:

POTS Line >>> Line In Port of ComSwitch 7500

Phone Port of ComSwitch 7500 to FXO 1 of UC320W

Fax Port of ComSwitch 7500 to Phone In line 1 of HP Officejet Pro L7580 Multi-Function Printer

FXS Port of UC320W to Analog Phone

Was able to make and receive inbound and outbound calls from Analog Phone to POTS number or via Broadvoice using the SIP and send and receive a fax from/to the multi-function printer. The ComSwitch is configured for distinctive ring with ring 1 to phone and double ring to the fax port. Works like a charm, but your milage may vary.

Thanks ALOT for testing that out!  Looks like its going to be the trick I need.  I am curious if the * tones for the comswitch work to transfer the call to the FAX line through the UC320?

Paul

Greetings Paul,

Glad to be of assistance. In the configuration I tested the ComSwitch identifies the FAX tones and then routes the call to the FAX Port of the ComSwitch with the call being "answered" by the FAX Modem in the outlined configuration, the HP Officejet Pro L7580 Multi-function Printer. The Analog phone is connected to the FXS port of the UC320W and never "hears" the FAX tones. The ComSwitch is doing all the switching "work" and the UC320 handles the voice calls.

I have used the ComSwitch for several years and with several installations, especially with Microsoft's Small Business Server, however IMHO facsimile technology is so "Twentieth Century". With e-mail, PDF and the cloud, why use a technology that degrades the quality of the image being transmitted? However, for those who will not let go of their FAX machine the ComSwitch is a viable solution and with distinctive ring eliminates the cost of having to pay for another phone line. Good Luck with your installation and hopefully you will make you clients "happy campers" and be a "big hero".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: