Helpful
Replies

UC320W Incoming routing, and Auto Attendant

rakinonz1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

New listener, first-time caller ...

Have a client who operate two businesses. Say Alice Adventures and Bob's Baskets.

1. They wish to route incoming calls from different SIP trunks to different people, etc.

This looks like its possible by adding multiple users to shared extensions, so unique rings can distinguish which business the incoming call is for. Handily, these shared extension labels show up on the phones (incoming calls obscure these labels on the phone displays, which is crazy, but that's another story).

Is this a correct approach? If I just use groups, I can't find a way to assign a unique ring to calls inbound on that business's SIP trunk.

2. They want to use an auto-attendent to route calls, so not only can they see which business the incoming call is for, but route calls according to person.

So, say Alice is extension 11 and Bob extension 12. Both of them work for both businesses.

Say Peter dials Alice Adventures number. He should hear "Welcome to Alice Adventures, press 1 for Alice, 2 for Bob, or 3 to end this call". He makes his selection, and the call is routed to Alice or Bob, who see that there is a call for Alice Adventures on their phone so when they answer the call, they can say "Alice Adventures, how can I help you?" (or whatever).

How can this be achieved with the UC320W?

3. There are four LAN ports on the UC320W. If I plug a switch into one of these ports, I'm assuming that all the phones plugged into the switch will show up as if they were plugged directly into the UC320W's LAN ports. Correct assumption?

Thanks!

Robin

2 Replies 2

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Robin;

First of all, thanks for your interest on the solution. What you would like to achieve is doable, having in mind that solution is not multitenant, i.e. it cannot be logically partitioned (e.g. person working for one company can dial and leave VM messages to other company's people).

(1) Incoming call routing: You can definitively route incoming calls independently for each SIP trunk. On the incoming call routing screen you will see each SIP trunk as an individual trunk, and you can select the destination of the call per trunk

(2) Auto-attendant: Note there is only one auto-attendant for the system, with two levels. So, the possibilities to achieve what you want are:

(a) You use auto-attendant for one of the SIP trunks (company) only

(b) You use the auto-attendant for both SIP trunks, so you need to record two levels - Level A: "Press 1 for Alice Venture, Press 2 for Bob's baskets" - Level B, will be "press 1 for alice, press 2 for Alberto, press 3 for Robin"...

(c) You dont use auto-attendant

(3) Routing to users: Here you have several options as well

(a) Create a shared extension per company - here all phones will ring at once. So you cannot combine it with the auto-attendant for individual users, but more as a blast call.

(b) Create an additional extension for each user with dual role. So calls on SIP trunk A, will be routed to extension A and calls on SIP trunk B will be routed to extension B on the same user. According to what you would like to achive, I believe this is the option best matches.

On the switch question, the answer is yes. UC320W ports are trunk ports.

Regards
Alberto

Hi Alberto

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Auto-attendant would be good to use.

So following your (3b), if I create additional extensions for users with dual roles (that is, are in both businesses), can this be used in combination with Auto-attendant?

Maybe the answer is obvious but I can't see it without configuring everything, restarting a bunch of times, and struggling through it.

If the A-A message is generic, and just lists the people ("If you know the extension you require, enter it now, or choose from the following options ... Press 1 for Alice, 2 for Bob ... or hold for assistance") then route to the correct user extension so they can see which company the call is for.

Also, in the "hold for assistance" option, could that route to a shared extension so all phones ring at once?

Would that work?

Regards

Robin