cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC540 on existing LAN

abillington
Level 1
Level 1

We have an existing data LAN, with it's own router (an 1841) as default gateway, and while I'm the admin for the UC, I don't have any control over the data network and that team will be reluctant to accept changes. The UC's WAN interface is currently connected to that LAN and using it's default gateway.

Can I configure the UC to simply bridge it's VLAN1 onto the existing LAN, with no DHCP by the UC and then manage it simply from the existing LAN interface?

Thanks,

Andy

3 Replies 3

mtempro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andy,

The most straightforward way is probably to disable nat/firewall on the UC500 to allow management from the wan port.  If the UC will only serve voice then you can also remove the data DHCP pool by cli which if you don't have the UC express specialization you'll need to contact SBSC to make any cli changes.  Encourage the data team to maintain good network design and avoid workarounds if you can.  On your 1841 (default gateway) have the data team add routes to the following subnet's with the ip address of the UC500 wan interface as the next hop so you'll have reachability to these networks.

192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0

10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0

10.1.10.0 255.255.255.252

Regards,

Marvin

I might also add that you can change your LAN side IP address scheme to match the existing scope on your VLAN1 in CCA.  This configuration is also used when using a Windows Server that is already sending out DHCP leases to clients on the network.  If you don't add the routes on a server/router then it will look out to the internet to find these addresses instead of looking internally on it's own network.  Users will never be able to retrieve their voicemail if this is not done because they won't find CUE at 10.1.10.1 and 10.1.10.2

All the best,

Robcast

Thanks Marvin, Robert,

To get a routing table change request will take probably three to four weeks (no I'm not joking). I've been through the setup again, and come up with a sort-of workaround by statically NATting the inside IP of the UC540 to it's address on the data LAN. Messy, but Office Manager works and that was my main thing. To an extent I like it this way, stops data people playing with my voice network ;-)

Andy