cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC540 SIP trunk "allowed IP addresses" limitation?

JOHN THIEN
Level 1
Level 1

Testing out a UC540 and I'm using Callcentric.  Working great, but the feature under the SIP trunk configuring/Advanced that allows you to set the IP addresses of machines allowed to connect to the UC540 only supports a maximum of 100 entries.  Callcentric wants 204.11.192.0/24 or 204.11.192.0-204.11.192-255 unblocked.

The UC540 doesn't seem to support inputting a range in any notation I'm aware of, maybe I'm missing something?

I contacted Callcentric and asked if they could be more specific, LOL, but they said they change things on their end from time to time.

Anyone else figure out a way around this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

Hello John,

Unfortantely, that is a limitation of CCA, at this time.

There is no way around this, other than using CLI to modify the access list.

So you would need to manually add:  (May not be access-list #3, just an example.)

access-list 3 permit 204.11.192.0 0.0.0.255

The issue with this is the CCA may no longer read that configuration, and if you went into the SIP settings in CCA, it could give you an error, or if there was no error,  when you save any changes, it may overwrite the ACL you entered.  (This could also void your support warranty, for CCA support.)

Thank you,

Darren

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

Hello John,

Unfortantely, that is a limitation of CCA, at this time.

There is no way around this, other than using CLI to modify the access list.

So you would need to manually add:  (May not be access-list #3, just an example.)

access-list 3 permit 204.11.192.0 0.0.0.255

The issue with this is the CCA may no longer read that configuration, and if you went into the SIP settings in CCA, it could give you an error, or if there was no error,  when you save any changes, it may overwrite the ACL you entered.  (This could also void your support warranty, for CCA support.)

Thank you,

Darren

Okay thank you Darren, that is a great answer.

Okay, follow-up to the question.

How bad an idea is it to leave this security feature disabled?

I have a bit of experience in this area, I use an Asterisk (FreePBX distro) for my work phone system, and Callcentric is my SIP trunker.  Before I limited incoming connections to my FreePBX server to the Callcentric range above, there would be occasions (maybe once every 2-3 weeks) where someone (probably up to no good) found my open port(s) and all my phones would start ringing simultaneously.  It lasted for about 20-30 seconds, and then would stop.

My assumption was that someone was looking for security vulnerabilities so they could use my Asterisk box to place their LD (maybe even overseas) calls.  They never got anywhere, though, as the Asterisk was fully patched, and my passwords for my handsets were strong.

I wonder if the Cisco UC540 will suffer the same sort of result, or worse, or maybe even not so much.

Obviously I can simply select another trunker.  The thing I like about Callcentric are the rates and also the dashboard that allows me to make a lot of adjustments (like forwarding calls to a cell phone number, and the ability to configure faxing reception, too).  So if anyone has a suggestion for a supported SIP trunker that supports the same types of features, I'd be open to that, as well.

BTW, I did ask Callcentric one more time, with a link to this topic, whether they can restrict that range to better than 0-255, but they declined.  I see their point, just wish there was another simple way around this.