cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7945 option to keep backlight disabled during connectivity loss?

Graham M
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I have a UC560 system with a mix of 7945 and 7965 phones. We have employees that both work in the office and at their home.

I have configured the settings in CME to turn the backlight on during workdays (8:30 - 5:00) and off during after-hours:

service phone displayOnDuration 08:30
service phone displayOnWhenIncomingCall 1
service phone daysDisplayNotActive 1,7
service phone displayIdleTimeout 00:05
service phone displayOnTime 08:30

I wanted to know if there was a configuration setting that would keep the phone's backlight off, if the phone lost connectivity after-hours (while the backlight is normally off)?

We have a couple people who work from home and they mention if their connection ever drops in the middle of the night (usually due to the ISP performing maintenance), it causes the phone's display to turn on and display the "Configuring IP" and "Registering" messages.

This is of course important to see during the normal work day (when the backlight is typically on), but not as important after hours (when the backlight is typically off).

Some of our employeess have resorted to unplugging their router and phone at the end of the work day, which I don't usually prefer in case we have to do after-hours maintenance.

Thanks
Graham

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, when restarting the phone will always use full power backlight.

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Graham,

There is nothing that I know of to fix that issue.

Just thinking though this, the phone at that point is not registered, and is going to display the backlight until it recieves a configuration from the UC560.  Once it is registered, the display should go off after the timeout.  But before that time, I would think it is being controled by the firmware on the phone.  So the firmware, or a local phone setting would need to be adjusted.  I could not find a local phone setting to set the backlight to off by default, and do not think there is one.

If someone knows of a way, hopefully they will share.  But I do not think it is possible myself.

Thank you,

Darren

Graham M
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paolo and Darren,

Thanks for the response. I figured that this was one of those situations where I'd be out of luck.

Interestingly enough, I found out that the phone retains its configuration if it has an active connection that is lost.
I placed an ACL to block requests from a phone and once the phone lost the connection (stuck on the "Registering" screen), I was able to go into the phone settings and saw the backlight timers still were set under the "Power Save Configuration".

I understand, however that if a phone is reset, or loses power, it has no configuration (and therefore not controllable) until it is able to successfully register again.

Who knows, maybe it is something that could be incorporated in a future firmware update.

Thanks again
Graham

Graham Males wrote:

Who knows, maybe it is something that could be incorporated in a future firmware update.

To be honest with you, I don't think so.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: