cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7975 + 2 x 7916 Sidecars

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

Is anyone running this phone combination successfully?

Every customer we have ever installed this phone combo on has had the phone reboot on them randomly.

We have had Cisco cases open for almost 2 years now with almost no results. (it appears the phones are "crashing"... Cisco is unable to interpret the crash dumps though... we are now being asked to SSH into the phones and run Java debugs)

If not... what does everyone else use for high-volume receptionists?

The SPA500S sidecars are irritating to work with, and none of the SPA phones have the screen size needed to handle high volume. (Octo-line capability is important as well obviously)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

econsystems
Level 1
Level 1

This is a very good question.  I nomally deply 7965 with the side cards.  I have never used 7975, but it should work.  Is the phone and both side cards powerd by two bricks or a different combination.  I always use two bricks, even though you can power the phone from the POE switch and the side cards via the brick.  Also, always use high quality CAT6 cables for the reception desk phone.

I have done a lot of deployments with 7965 and never had this issue.  once in a blue moon i have seen a no dialtone issue, but not a reboot.

Verify the switch, phone and side cards firmware. 

Please keep us posted on the progress as this is a very important issue.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

econsystems
Level 1
Level 1

This is a very good question.  I nomally deply 7965 with the side cards.  I have never used 7975, but it should work.  Is the phone and both side cards powerd by two bricks or a different combination.  I always use two bricks, even though you can power the phone from the POE switch and the side cards via the brick.  Also, always use high quality CAT6 cables for the reception desk phone.

I have done a lot of deployments with 7965 and never had this issue.  once in a blue moon i have seen a no dialtone issue, but not a reboot.

Verify the switch, phone and side cards firmware. 

Please keep us posted on the progress as this is a very important issue.

Scott Martin
Level 1
Level 1

We've used the 7975s with two 7914 sidecars (the mono ones), and they have proven extremely reliable. We power the phone with PoE then sidecar closest to the phone gets the brick, which powers both. Sounds like the phone is the issue, as these sidecars are pretty basic. Upgrade to latest phone load, or replace the phone would be my suggestion.

I agree the SPA sidecars are a bit useless, especially the one that still uses old fashioned labels, but I'm keen to try the SPA500DS, which is very similar to a 7914/15.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Daniel,

I endorsed econsystems response because I agree with two of the comments/suggestions put forward.

In this particular scenario I would use two (2) separate powerpacks to power each unit up, I have learnt over the years that if a phone randomly reboots or does not become stable enough, then it normally points to a starvation in power, even though the side cart is powered by its own pack, the phone seems to have an adverse reaction, so having both run of their own dedicated packs, stability normally follows quickly behind

The other one is, the CAT-6 cabling, again I have found CAT-6 (Or my fav CAT-6A) to be significantly better, I know it is a pig of a cable to work with, but the end results are generally much better and worth it in my books

Cheers,

David Trad.
davidtradconsultinggmail.com

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: