cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8.2/3.1 Nightmare On My Street

dharig
Level 1
Level 1

I did in place upgrade to 8.2/8.0.6 and it seemed to work. After the upgrade I decided to factory default the unit via the reset in CCA because I wanted a fresh clean start. Those of you multi-year CCA victims know what I’m talking about with the "out of band commands".   When the system booted it booted to ROMMON.  I worked with TAC and it turned out there was no IOS on the flash. They helped me TFTP the IOS to the UC520 and then apply the factory default config. After that I was able to connect to the UC520 but the CUE would not load or connect. I worked with TAC again (new case) and they helped me default and reset CUE. Now I can log into it via CCA and it appears to connect to CUE but it is not in a factory default state because the telephony wizard throws error. When I try to reset the unit to factory default via CCA with reset feature I get the error. "Current Factory Default configuration and IOS are out of sync on this device. Prior to restoring factory defaults you must download the latest software......" So I thought I would try to do the software install again with factory default checked and each time it errors out during CUE process sighting just a general failure message.  Also when I reboot from that failure the same issue of the IOS being missing from flash is present and it boots to ROMMON. At this point I am on my third TAC case and they advised I change out the Flash card. Luckily I saved a flash card from previous UC520 that the CUE module went kaput on. With the new flash card in I repeated and got the exact same results. Now I am thinking there has to be something wrong with CUE so I went to my 4th TAC case to have them run full audit on CUE and reinstall 8.0.6 via command line and factory default once again. They said that per diagnostics CUE was 100%. The main issue with TAC is that you either get the router team (IOS) or the voice team (CUE) but neither of them know squat about CCA and understand what is happening in the middle. Any Cisco CCA team all stars wana WebEx into this thing and figure it out? I have been down for three days, 4 TAC cases and I am hopelessly lost.

12 Replies 12

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

Hello David,

Just a quick question...  Since everything was deleted, or missing on the flash card, then you factory reset both CME and CUE.  Does the root of flash contain a Vlan.dat file?

Thank you,

Darren

yes ther eis  avlna.dat fiel on it

Hi David,

The CCA error message you attached is typically shown when cca.xml file is missing from the flash. Can you please check for it?

Thank you,

Anna

Hello

What error is caused from this?  The Defualt config error or the Voicemail upgrade error?

THe only thing in flash dir is listed bellow right now. I am afrade to reboot now becouse I don't see IOS and don;t want to go though the ROMMON thing again

UC520#en
UC520#dir
Directory of flash:/

1  -rw-         660   Aug 9 2011 12:39:16 -07:00  vlan.dat
    2  drw-           0   Aug 9 2011 12:39:20 -07:00  phones
   34  drw-           0   Aug 9 2011 12:42:36 -07:00  its

128184320 bytes total (93843456 bytes free)
UC520#

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi David,

I am curious to know if when you chose to factory default the system, did you choose the option to format the flash card and in return the other two options were grayed out?

I know the problem you are experiencing, but there is more than one thing that can cause this and we may need to narrow down on this.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David

I did choose the option to format the flash,  but the other two options do not gray out then.  After format flash the next option is back up config (recomended) and factory default.  If you select factory default backup config grays out but not format flash.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Any chance of doing a remote desktop session? I would like to look at this closer and see if we can resolve this for you quickly so you an get on with building the system.

http://teamviewer.com/en/download/index.aspx

Is what I would recommend for this if you are up for it.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

724164871    pass  vyd356

Will change as soon as you connect.

Woyuld welcome the help

Password is not excepted

try  TV 184 977 362   pass vyd356

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi David,

For the benefits of others, we should probably point out what had taken place:

Firstly:

CCA would constantly fail at the CUE bootloader upgrade, looking at the logs the TFTP would time out and there was no TFTP path back to the CUE. It should be clearly understood that whilst other programs such as Solar Winds and 3Cdaemon can do this without any issues, CCA does not function in the same way, the TFTP process does not seem to work as efficiently as those programs do.

It should also be noted that this process does expose a flaw with CCA, given that in most cases people will choose to factory reset and format the flash card, this in itself causes a big issue, and one you have hit, in that once CCA fails the system is left in an unusual state and you would need a console cable to get it back into working order.. Upon failing CCA does not reinstate the Flash card or at the very least format it and properly structure the directory, this is a logical flaw in the way CCA does things and needs to be resolved ASAP by the dev team, I can see a lot of systems being rendered unusual and putting people in a world of pain, such as you have been.

Secondly:

Doing upgrades let alone factory resets to a system remotely is not advisable, one thing goes wrong and you could find yourself in an expensive situation, in this case you were lucky that you had a console cable connected and we could do some recovery when it did fail. Always do upgrades onsite where possible otherwise hold of until there is someone onsite to be your remote hands, the following conditions should also be met before doing the upgrade;

• UC-500 removed of the network and attached switches
  • The PC/Laptop doing the upgrade should have all adapters turned of with the exception of the one connected to the UC
  • Make sure it is a direct connection to the UC, I advise port 7 (8) although you could use any, using the last port is a force of habit for me
  • Make sure you have a console cable with you before proceeding just in case the upgrade fails and the system is rendered in a useless state
  • Make sure all firewalls and Anti Viruses are turned off or at worst make sure all exceptions are put in place before commencing

Thirdly:

Make sure you have a backup of a Flash Card from a working system, normally I have a folder called "Default Factory Flash" and in there it is a direct one-2-one copy of a working flash card, this helps in circumstances like yours were CCA does an EPIC fail and trashes your system, you will find that this will get you out of huge hole. As a note worthy thing you should also make sure that you have in this folder the factory default .cfg file for that specific system, this will help you in a major way

Now for your specific problem we need to resolve your flash cards directory structure, after I lost the TV session it occurred to me that your system will not function properly because the required files for it to work properly are not on the system, so we need to resolve that urgently.

In regards to the CUE, well you need to get someone onsite acting as your remote hands, burley to guide them over the phone only as you will not have a Internet connection to them or you shouldn't, not until the system is fully brought back up to spec.

You have my contact details that I left on your note pad (MSN Details), you need me to help you out further just holla and if I am free and not a sleep I will certainly help you out

Cheers,

David.

pkishan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi David,

In your posting you mentioned that CCA wiped your flash and you had to call TAC to get IOS image and default config. Can you please send or attach CCA Application log when your software upgrade failed. Can you also post your current running config. You are not able to do "Reset to Factory" is because CCA is looking for certain files in the flash and if it can't find that it won't let you do this operation unless you do a software upgrade using CCA. With the current setup does CCA comes up properly or fails to read configuration from CUE?

regards

Kishan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: