cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A few questions about CME 8.1 / 8.6

snmpguy500
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, new to this community looks very vibrant.

I have had a UC520 based deployment for a few years but haven't really set it up and now I am trying to set it up and I had a couple of questions.

#0 Does it make sense to even deploy a UC520 in 2012 or should I just get a new system as far as features, etc go. Will this box be EOL/EOS soon?

#1 Does anyone know when the new software pack will be out? https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9827 says January but I would like a little more specific information because I have several 8961s I want to add to our system.

#2 Are all of the features of the auto attendant/IVR represented by the configuration options available in the Cisco Configuration Assistant application or the Unity Express web interface? It seems fairly limited if that is the case. I remember a long time ago when we first got this system and attempted to configure it that there was a 'script editor' application you could use to make custom AA scripts but it only worked on Windows XP and had lots of quirks -- was that ever updated?

#3 is there a way to 'reverse transfer' a call on this phone system? For example if there is a call on hold on extension 6400 and I want to take that call to my phone? On our current 12 year old inter-tel system you just hit 4 and then the source extention and it magically does this.

#4 Is there a way to create a soft key on a specific phone that will enable the AA or disable the AA? On our current phone system when we leave for the night we have to put it in 'night mode' I know that just having scheduling in the system itself for when it is night or not is a better option but I would like to give the operator an opportunity to over-ride this from her phone.

#5 is there a way for a single phone to be signed into multiple hunt groups for instance if we have someone that can handle both Sales and billing calls?

#6 when voicemail phone notification is enabled and the auto attendant calls you -- what 'access code' does it want I've tried entering the PIN for the voicemail box but it doesn't accept that? Also is there a way to configure voicemail notification to call multiple numbers until someone picks up and then if nobody picks up set a retry timer of say 60 minutes so that it will keep calling the group until someone answers?

#7 and I think this is my final question for now -- is there a way to have it so when you delete a voicemail notification from outlook/exchange it deletes it from your phone voicemail?

Sorry for all of the questions I appreciate any guidance anyone can provide =)

-Drew

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

0. Yes. it is a great system still very current.

1. These is a dedicated thread for you to ask that.

2. You can use the full editor under windows that does everything, the express editor under Web, or use a pre-made script like my "Universal AA" that accommodates most needs without any editing.

3. You can use call park slots for that. They come with various reversion and pick-up options.

4. the easiest way, is to configure and ephone-hunt with logon/logout. Once all operators are logged out, calls will go to AA (final).

5. Yes, tha is supported

6. not sure really.

7. If you receive an email notification, deleting it doesn't delete the vmail from mbox.

finalconnect
Level 3
Level 3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps7293/end_of_life_notice_c51-655215.html

UC520 is end-of-life, support until 2016 if you have the deivce cover by smarrtnet before september 2012.

#7 - 2 Options: 1) Setup IMAP to the voice mail box within user outlook or other email client. Once deleted in the IMAP connection, it is deleted from the phone. 2) The other email option is to forward the voice mail to the user's email address/box which is simply a COPY and when deleted does NOT delete from the voic email box.

#4 - Yes. Do it all the time. Let's say your night-service code is *234. Program a speed-dial on the necessary phone for "*234".

#6: Their is an option in the voice mail settings that must be enabled to allow login from the notification call. Sounds like that option is turned off. It is in the notification options: "Allow user to login to voicemail box to retrieve voicemail when phone notification device is notified." The remainder of the question unsure, but a hunt group can probably be used, but it is unlikely to re-try.

If you found this helpful, please give me points!

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Andrew,

You have received two great responses from Paolo and Michael.

Happy to throw my perspective on it as well

#0 Does it make sense to even deploy a UC520 in 2012 or should I just  get a new system as far as features, etc go. Will this box be EOL/EOS  soon?

It would even still make sense in 2015 So long as Cisco is still supporting it and provided feature enhancements or upgrades, the system is still valid and very much useful, you could probably put it into a small business and leave it there for the next 7-10 years and it would most likely hum along quite nicely.

#1 Does anyone know when the new software pack will be out?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9827

says January but I would like a little more specific information because I have several 8961s I want to add to our system.

I'll keep reiterating my same comments as I do for everyone who asks this same question PLEASE only take this as a guide, if they release it in the expected time...FANTASTIC!!! If they do not, consider the reasons why, potentially they could have hit some major bugs with the Early Field Trials (Beta Testing) or various other reasons, it is better to be late with a complete product, then on time with a bugged out system that makes you want to curse them in every language known to man and elves

#2 Are all of the features of the auto attendant/IVR represented by the  configuration options available in the Cisco Configuration Assistant  application or the Unity Express web interface? It seems fairly limited  if that is the case. I remember a long time ago when we first got this  system and attempted to configure it that there was a 'script editor'  application you could use to make custom AA scripts but it only worked  on Windows XP and had lots of quirks -- was that ever updated?

CCA is pretty comprehensive these days, although things like custom scripts need to be done in the GUI still, sometimes there are hidden things in CCA regarding the CUE side of the system that you never notice the first time, in particular because they may have changed its location or resides in an area that may be perceived wrongly. Just remember though, something's done in the Web GUI may not actually be compatible with CCA, please check on this before you make any major changes.

#3 is there a way to 'reverse transfer' a call on this phone system? For  example if there is a call on hold on extension 6400 and I want to take  that call to my phone? On our current 12 year old inter-tel system you  just hit 4 and then the source extention and it magically does this.

As Paola mention, the best way to do this is to educate everyone in using Park Slots, with Park Slots you can work some serious magic, but I caution you on being too creative with them, they do have a tendency of causing headaches when debugging issues... But what you want is best suited for a Parking environment, particularly because I am not aware of any other way it could be achieved.

#4 Is there a way to create a soft key on a specific phone that will  enable the AA or disable the AA? On our current phone system when we  leave for the night we have to put it in 'night mode' I know that just  having scheduling in the system itself for when it is night or not is a  better option but I would like to give the operator an opportunity to  over-ride this from her phone.

As Michael has suggested use the night-service function to achieve this, with a speed dial button.... Or if you want to get creative, Cisco have given the ability to now run a Mini AA on a users Voice Mail, for instance of a night time you can Call-Forward-All on the reception phone to point to its VM and have the receptionist record a generic greeting that can be used of a night or day mode, unless she/he will never use VM during the day, you can have the similar options as with your normal AA, its just a little cut down and frankly much less of a headache to work with if you are not running a complex AA... A fantastic feature that I give Cisco much Kudos for doing

#5 is there a way for a single phone to be signed into multiple hunt  groups for instance if we have someone that can handle both Sales and  billing calls?

100% this can be done, either in a Blast Group environment or a Hunting Group, its all about what you want to acheive and the best suited outcome, you just need to make a user a memeber of each group and away you go, this is easily achievable with CCA as well

#6 when voicemail phone notification is enabled and the auto attendant  calls you -- what 'access code' does it want I've tried entering the PIN  for the voicemail box but it doesn't accept that? Also is there a way  to configure voicemail notification to call multiple numbers until  someone picks up and then if nobody picks up set a retry timer of say 60  minutes so that it will keep calling the group until someone answers?

Ahhh Yes I have been caught on this one a couple of times if it is calling your mobile/cell, this indicates to me that you have notification turned on so no need to check that... So when it calls you, please enter the extension number of the phone first, and then the password set for the inbox, the pin is not the password... YES I KNOW sounds silly right? The pin is the extension number and the password is the password Give that a shot and let us know how you get on with that. The last part with calling multiple numbers... NO! Sorry just cannot elaborate on that further.

#7 and I think this is my final question for now -- is there a way to  have it so when you delete a voicemail notification from  outlook/exchange it deletes it from your phone voicemail?

IMAP as Michael suggested, this will allow you to change the MWI notification on the phone so when you read in outlook/phone the light goes off, when you delete it in outlook/phone it removes it of the system. However the best way to do this is to try and get it managed by Exchange, this way remote users can also do it on their smart phones with little to no issues at all.

Lastly the UC-520 is still very much and in every bit of the word, a VALID system, and still has much legs to it

Good luck mate hope you configure it to your likings

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *