cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Welcome to the Cisco Small Business Community

Have a question? Click on a topic board below to get started in the community.

Views
Helpful
Replies
t.svatek
Participant

Additional NICs for BE6K?

Hi

Is there a way to add NICs to BE6K to deploy VCS-Expressway? Many customers do not allow DMZ and internal VLAN on the same NIC.

Thanks

Tino

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Tino,

Ok, separate switches would certainly define the requirement.

We don't support the modification of the servers to ensure that we can offer consistent support and assurance of the BE6000 product - so that really means no changes to memory, disks, CPUs or NICs.

Regards,

Andy

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee

Hi Tino,

We don't support any modifications to the BE6000 server specifications.

The new High Density server has an additional 4 port NIC card which may be used to meet this kind of network separation though (sure, I appreciate that this has a higher price point).

Just as a small challenge to your statement - your customers are happy for DMZ and internal LAN servers to use shared resources within a vitualised server, but not on the links that connect it to an external network? 

Ok - I get that conceptually, but I'm curious.  Given that many switches (including the vSphere vSwitch) support per VLAN traffic shaping and other storm protection features to prevent DMZ traffic denying service to internal servers, what risk do they see in the external switched network, that they don't see within the virtualised server?

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andrew

I agree with you, but it´s very common to use separate switches within the DMZ or to have separate Switches for the internal and external DMZ. For instance a VCS-E with two physical NICs would be connected to both internal and external DMZ like a proxy.

Is there a special reason to not support additional NICs on BE6K?

Thanks

Tino

Thanks Tino,

Ok, separate switches would certainly define the requirement.

We don't support the modification of the servers to ensure that we can offer consistent support and assurance of the BE6000 product - so that really means no changes to memory, disks, CPUs or NICs.

Regards,

Andy