Views
Helpful
Replies

Address Book SPA508g

mihnenfeld
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I need some help in realising a local directory/addressbook on a Cisco SPA508g IP-Phone,

connected to UC540. It is no Problem to use the CCA and manually add an entry to the phones

local directory- or speeddial-menu BUT it does not support more than 100 Names! The list my

client gave me is as twice as long than that. How can i implement more? I hope you got

all the details you need. Tell me if you dont.

Malte

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Malte:

What David means by "unsupported" is that if you make changes in CLI, Cisco might refuse you technical support.

TAC only provides support if you use CCA for 100% of configurtion. (the only exception to this is if you are UC Express certified; interestingly though -- they are actually getting rid of this certification)

Depending on what you do in command line, it can also make CCA do weird stuff, or even break entirely.

All of that aside... I doubt adding a few directory entries is going to break anything.

-Dan

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Malte,

This is the limitation of the UC-500 series, 100 numbers is all you can do.

I would offer up a suggestion of putting forward your request to the Product Manager, but I have no clue who that is anymore

I should also add, I have tried over the years to have this upgraded to at least 200 as that seems to be the sweet spot, but it didn't eventuate, they have their reasons and It wasn't for me to question it.

Cheers,

David Trad.
davidtradconsultinggmail.com

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David!

That's what I figuered..

Is there any way an (end)user could edit the locale address-book?

I mean, using his web-interface or something, but not

the CCA or editing the .xml-file. I know how to access the express-manager,

where a phone-user can log in, but there is nothing to edit, only monitoring missed calls etc.

Because the Client should be able to manage the phones (local) address-book on his own, quick and easy..

PS. I'd like to know where to find the file, which contains the personal speeddial and is an CME-feature

accessable with the phones UI.

I just finished the 209th local directory entry. The CCA only supports up to 100 entries,

though using the CLI it seems to be possible to create up to 250 entries.

telephony-service

directory entry 1 5551010 name john doe

..fyi

Hi Malte,

I would be very careful about doing so, unless Cisco have given official support on it you may but yourself in an unwanted position. Pushing the UC to do a DIR lookup on 250 names may have unwanted consequences on the systems resources, it may be untested and have undocumented side effects.

Please mindful of this, and if the system starts to experience issues then revert to the established and sanctioned maximum limit of 100.

Cheers,

David Trad.
davidtradconsultinggmail.com

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hello David!

I appreciate your concern, but I dont know why it shouldn't be supported, when the system itself

offers me to chose an entry-number between 1 and 250.

There are still some others issues i'd like to solve though. Therefor I am going to open a new discussion.

Thank you very much for your correspondence so far!

Regards,

Malte

Malte:

What David means by "unsupported" is that if you make changes in CLI, Cisco might refuse you technical support.

TAC only provides support if you use CCA for 100% of configurtion. (the only exception to this is if you are UC Express certified; interestingly though -- they are actually getting rid of this certification)

Depending on what you do in command line, it can also make CCA do weird stuff, or even break entirely.

All of that aside... I doubt adding a few directory entries is going to break anything.

-Dan

No problems so far.

Only disatvantage is that it is hard to edit further entries, because you can't address them with CCA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: