cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any way to see phones in CCA without EWS switch?

bill.roland
Level 1
Level 1

Just a quick question: we're using Catalyst switches instead of EWS switches, and none of our IP phones show up in CCA's "topology view."  The box is checked to display IP phones, but non show up.  Is there any way I can get them to appear?  I have heard that you can reset them from CCA, like after you've pushed a new firmware, rather than having to unplug them all (a pain).  Thanks in advance.

Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Bill,

Have you looked at using Cisco Network Assistance? (CNA)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5931/index.html

Now to me it looks and feels exactly like CCA but it might have different functionality??

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The topology view shows what CDP discovers in the underlying network, but if you had a few unsupported switches linked together, then you cannot 'add to site' on CCA and allow it to display it's adjacent devices.

You are using a CCA 'site' right and not just connecting with 'connect' to an ip address, right?

The reset all phones capability that used to appear as an option when you right mouse click the UC5xx icon in the topology view was removed (there were problems with it) and is being considered to be put back in the Troubleshooting drawer, where you can select the phones to reset.

Other that that, it would be one at a time in the topology view.

Steve

Hi Steven, thanks for your reply.  CCA is setup on the initial login screen as a site, and all the check marks are enabled to discover IP phones and CDP.  However in the "Topology View" it only shows the Catalyst 3560v2 its directly connected to as an "unsupported device," which I understand, but it shows no IP phones anywhere, even connected to the Catalyst switch it is showing, nor does it show any other Cisco devices on the network.  I was expecting it to be able to at least discover other Cisco devices, but it doesn't appear able to do so.  It does show Bonjour devices all over the network, even 4 or 5 switches downrange from it, so I was surprised to see it couldn't do the same with CDP devices  Thanks again.

Bill

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Bill,

Have you looked at using Cisco Network Assistance? (CNA)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5931/index.html

Now to me it looks and feels exactly like CCA but it might have different functionality??

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David, I never thought about CNA.  Sure enough they show right up.  Can't reboot them but can just click and get to the internal webserver on the phone, a nice touch.  Thanks!

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: