cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Auto Attendant with SIP config question

madisontmajor
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up the auto attendant on my UC540 (SIP) for the first time. The Cisco user guide for CCA tells me not to change the inbound dial plan when configuring autoattendant for SIP (The main number ******9000, dials to the operator at extension 100 currently). I walk through the autoattendant manual in the CCA and setup my script, business hours, night hours, holidays, etc. however, any time I call in to test the AA I keep getting forwarded to the operator at extention 100.

I am not sure how to make the autoattendant active. Do I need to populuate the non required PSTN field on the config screen? Is there a modification I need to make to the inbound dial plan?

In addition, I have been doing this work remotely and have not recorded any prompts. My assumption is that these prompts contain generic audio out of the box. Do I need to record my own prompts before the AA will become active?

Thanks!

12 Replies 12

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

Madison,

In order for you inbound calls to be routed to the AA, you will have to go into the inbound dial plan, and modify/change the main number to be directed to the AA.

Also, you may want to check your prompts.  Then default prompts are often blank since the CCA installation wizard asks you to record them, and most people skip this step and end up with a blank prompt.  I normally suggest that you either record a prompt, or just change the main prompt to "Welcome.wav", just so you hear something so that you know it is working.

Thank you,

Darren

Hi Darren

According the the CCA SBCS Admin Guide 3.0(1) is says:

"IMPORTANT For SIP trunking, DID mappings for Auto Attendant and voice mail

extensions must be configured through the settings on the Auto Attendant and

Voicemail windows, not through the DID settings in the Incoming Dial Plan window."

Do I modify the main number under the Dial Plan -> Incoming -> Direct Dial -> Direct Dial to AA Groups and Operator window? (Actually it doesn't look like these fields are editable)

In addition, is it possible to just have AA on after hours, but have the system direct calls to a live operator at extention 100 during the day?

Madison,

Yes, you can configure the incoming DID in CCA under:  Configure > Telephony > Dial Plan > Incoming > direct dial tab > bottom section.  Click add to input the DID.

Yes, you can setup you call routing to go to a live operator during the day, and AA at night.  Just need to configure "night service" for the operators extension.  (Must have a schedule for business hours defined.)

Thank you,

Darren

Hi Darren,

I hope I'm not being dense, but I do not see an add button on the bottom half of the screen nor am I able to edit the existing field values such as "Destination Type = operator". Is this because I am using a SIP Trunk?

Madison,

Check for a scroll bar on the right hand side of that window...   I have had that happen to me many times...

Thank you,

Darren

Wow. Thanks Darren. Too many scrolling windows within scrolling windows within a remote desktop session. I can try to make that change after hours today.

Do you know why the documentation says for SIP trunking not to make changes on this page? I am still a bit hesitant due to this warning.

Madison,

I am not sure why the documentation says that, but I have always used the Dial Plan page for all my DID's to keep them in one place..

Thank you,

Darren

Darren,

I tried to update my inbound dial plan today. The CCA seems to be real finiky about holding changes on this screen. Every time I selected "modify" and changed "operator" to "Autoattendent" the system would always change it back to operator after I selected "Apply". I have tried deleting all my inbound entries and only adding a single entry for the main number to be directed to the autoattendent (ext. 398) but no matter what I do, the main number always rings 5 times and goes to voicemail at ext. 100.

Any other ideas?

The auto attendent is turned on, both work ours and night scheduled have been configured and the greeting has been set to welcome.wav

Is it possible the system won't direct to the AA until I record my own greetings?

Thanks

Madison

No matter how many ways I try to tell the system to route the main line to the AA, the entry to route to the operator at ext. 100 keeps popping back up. I can't delete it! 

However, I am able to assign the AA extentsion to a random DID and that appears to work fine.

Madison,

I guess I am not sure why that is happening.  The first thing that comes to mind is the you may still have a "PSTN" number configured on an AA.  If so, removed the number and then try adding it on the dial plan page again.   If that is not the case, I would try removing all the DID numbers, and then going though the running config to make sure CCA removed all of the settings.  If you would like assistance with this, please call the Small Business Support Center.  (US - 1-866-606-1866)

Thank you,

Darren

Thanks Darren,

To confirm: if I enter a PTSN number on the AA screen, then I should not have to make an entry in the inbound dial plan, correct? and If I enter an entry on the inbound dial plan, then I can leave the PTSN number on the AA screen blank? My understanding is that either method should work.

Also, I have tried removing all DID and inbound dial entries but I did not run a "config to make sure CCA removed all of the settings". Are you talking about resetting the UC540 to factory? OR is there another config I can run that will remove only the inbound dial and DID entries and ensure those changes are committed?

Thanks

Madison

Yes, you can add the PSTN number in either place, but normally I like to add it on the dial plan page, so that all of my DID assignments are all located in one place.

You should not have to reset to factory.  If you are still having issues, and CCA is not adding or saving the entries, I would suggest that you call support, and they can look at the configuration to see what is going on..

Thank you,

Darren