Views
Helpful
Replies

BE6000KS Redundency

Eddie Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I have a partner with the following question, they are positioning a BE6000S and they’re asking if the BE6000S supports redundancy, and if so what type of redundancy.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Clustering is supported for all BE6k flavors. As Andrew has noted (+5) only limits are system scalability, other than its like any other UC deployment.

Eddie: Let us know if you have any other queries.

-Terry

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I posted this in a different thread yesterday, BE6K is a E160 blade. It offers support for up 5 application, refer to below:

Regards to redundancy, I haven't yet deployed this but from documentation, it hints you can have redundancy at various levels:

1) At hardware level you can deploy redundant modules in two different ISR routers (with HSRP etc. setup between both the routers).

2) You can use application level clustering to achieve, redundancy as per any UCS deployment

3) VSAN for Storage is also supported if required

So you can have redundancy at hardware (both ISR/Blade), redundancy at network, application, storage level etc. Review the below slide, which has quite some more information on E-series: http://www.slideshare.net/Ciscodatacenter/cisco-unified-computing-system-eseries-ucs-eseries

Copy pasting some information from my posting in other thread: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12466526/be6000s-small-customer-100-extension

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ordering guide: Go through ordering guide its particularly helpful in understanding the platform, licenses and how to order.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/business-edition-6000/guide-c07-717328.pdf

Datasheet: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/business-edition-6000/data_sheet_c78-717454.html

Cisco PA: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/PA/midmarket/collab.pdf

Design Zone: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise/design-zone-collaboration/index.html

Also go through SRND 10.X (at a later stage once you have selected a platform)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts

Hi,

BE6KS in terms of CUCM redundancy is not supported. You can't have backup nodes (CUCM Subscriber). BE6KS is one node cluster (just the Publisher).

Regards,

- Adrian.

Hi Adrian,

Clustering is, in fact, supported by the BE6000S - the included applications are not feature limited any way.  Initial positioning documentation mentions the use of SRST for resilience in context of a single box appliance.  However, if you wish to deploy more than one appliance as a cluster, this is supported.

Please note though, that cluster capacity will be constrained to that of smallest member (i.e. 150 users, 300 devices) when clustering a BE6000S with a BE6000M or H rack server.

Andy

Hello Andrew,

Thanks a lot for your answer, and at the same time it confused me. I asked this before to the PDI and they told me that clustering is not supported.

Regards,

- Adrian.

Clustering is supported for all BE6k flavors. As Andrew has noted (+5) only limits are system scalability, other than its like any other UC deployment.

Eddie: Let us know if you have any other queries.

-Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks a lot for your answer. In fact, yesterday I received an email from Cisco telling me that BE6KS supports clustering exactly as Andrew said.

- Adrian.

No probs mate and thanks for posting back with the update.

-Terry

Just found out about the BE6KS and found this thread.  I believe what I'm wanting to do has already been answered, but would like to confirm.

If I have 2 sites (call them A & B) and both combined are less than 150 users, can I still do redundancy and clustering?  For example:

Site A - BE6KS with PRI running Pub and Unity

Site B - C2901-CME-SRST with 25 SRST Licenses

or

Site A - BE6KS with PRI running Pub and Unity

Site B - BE6KS with FXO running Sub and Unity HA

Are either of those models supported?

Chris - Although its bit late but if you are looking for this information yes you can do that. Both your options are possible.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

-Terry

@Andrew

So if you have a deployment that has a publisher running on a UCS C 220 and you wanted to deploy a BE6KS for a remote site the whole cluster is limited to 150 users because of the BE6KS?

I want to use BE6KS as a sub at a remote site with less than 15 users. In this scenario what is the best way to design it. Should I use a 2911 as a CME instead or is their another way to cluster the UCM on the BE6KS with the main HQ site?

Hope this makes sense.

Hi David,

You have a number of options:

1. Run the BE6000S as a simple appliance at the remote site and trunk back to the main site.

2. Provide call control to the remote site from the cluster at the main site (and optionally provide resiliency with SRST)

3. As you mentioned, CME trunked back to the central site would also be a possibility (provided that the CME feature set is appropriate for the remote site).

The collaboration SRND provides more information on these options.

Andy

Hi Andrew,

i have this exact scenario

HQ = BE6KM with 900 users, Remote Office = 10-20 users

Should i go with CME-SRST or BE6000s?

Remote Office needs to have their own PSTN links due to unreliable WAN link, It needs to work as standalone, with voip calls back to HQ

Appreciate your advise

That depends on what you need, not sure if you mean CME OR SRST OR CME-as-SRST as they're all different options. 6KS is a full system.

It really depends on your exact list of requirement which one to use.

If it needs to be standalone, probably CME or 6KS are the options to explore.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi David,

In my opinion, if you already have a BE6KM/H with 150+ users, then I'll go with CME-as-SRST for the branch office.

Regards,

- Adrian.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: