cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BLF not working when ringing

shemhazai
Level 1
Level 1

We are using SPA504Gs with SPA500DS sidecars and Asterisk.  We have been heavily customizing the phones, sidecars and server for a particular client.  At one point we had the following process on the Sidecar with BLF working:

IDLE = Green, solid

On Hold = Red, Slow Blink

In use = Red, solid

Ringing = Amber, Fast Blink.

Ringing does not interrupt In Use or On Hold display (so only IDLE lines would show 'ringing' amber)

Since then we have managed to break this process so that Ringing (Amber) overwrites In Use, but DOES NOT overwrite On Hold.  No amount of backtracking or reconfiguring seems to be able to correct our error. 

Any suggestion anyone may have to point us in the right direction would be fantastic.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

shemhazai
Level 1
Level 1

Just want to clarify something:

The feature was not actually 'working' on all the phones.  Phones that we set up using a single config file that was configured, duplicated to the other phones and updated for those specific line configurations this feature never worked on.  We set up a phone and sidecar manually in our own office as a test phone to test features or bugs as the client mentioned them post-deployment.  That phone always showed the Line in Use indicator on the sidecar, even when ringing. 

I actually thought the client was nuts until I happened to copy over the config file onto the test phone.  I have since reversed that process but we still seem to have issue as described above where the RINGING state will override the IN USE state, but not the ON HOLD state.  Due to the way the problem manifested itself I'm relatively sure that it is a config issue on the phones and not something to do with Asterisk, but again, I am open to all suggestions. 

RINGING state will override the IN USE state, but not the ON HOLD state.  Due to the way the problem manifested itself I'm relatively sure that it is a config issue on the phones and not something to do with Asterisk, but again, I am open to all suggestions.  

On the other side, phone has no concept of BLF multiple states.  Only latest state reported to phone is "current state", no way to have two states at the same time.

So, can you catch the SIP dialog between phone and Asterisk ? It allow you to be absolutely sure that it is not Asterisk issue.  If your analysis will reveal that states are properly reported by Asterisk you should turn on syslog and debug messages on the phone and catch the output then. It may help with further analysis of the problem.

Thanks for the input there Dan.  Our sysadmin was adament that no change was made on the server at the time I has switched config files, so perhaps that assessment let us down the wrong path.  The fact that the phone can't differentiate between the states is good info as that should point us back in the direction of Asterisk.  I will do as you suggest as well as relay the information to our sysadmin and I'll post our findings back here.