Views
Helpful
Replies

Calls are lost while forwarding

cisco43ftrd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm using SPA525G2 phones in an environement running a UC560. Some users told me that these two problems occur regularly:

1) When the secretary forwards a call to another employee, the call is lost as soon as the recipient answers the phone. The call doesn't return to the secretary, but seems to be on hold until the customer hangs up.

This issue seems to be somehow connected with the situation that a third caller rings in when the secretary has already two active calls.

2) Usually the secretary will ask if an employee is busy before finally forwarding a call. However, sometimes when she calls employees to ask if they want to accept a call, the calling customer is immediately forwarded. Since an internal extensions is shown on the employees phone they don't expect a customer and therefore answer the call like they would if one of their colleagues had called...

I have no idea what could possibly be wrong with the UC's configuration. It could be that issue 2) is really just caused by improper handling the phone but 1) is quite mysterious.

Did anyone experience something similar or has a idea what could cause these problems?

Kind regards,

Rainhard

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For 1, please specify eact IOS version, as you may need an update.

About, that likely happens when secretary were already o call when the 2nd one came in, and that is normal, because when a ephone-dn doesn't have a free line anymore, consultive transfer automaticallyt becomes blind (and yes the called-id is wrong in that case.

So, unless you want to try to change ephone-dn from dual-line to octo-line, here the procedure for transferring a 2nd call (work also for transferring a first):

Park caller (make sure you have park softkely and pack-slot configured), you will be told about park slot Z.

call target, announce X is on park Z, he/she will take if so wanted.

If X declines the call, call park Z, and lie

The current IOS version is 15.0(1r)XA3

I guess I'll try octo-lines first, although I'm not sure if I have fully understood the difference between dual and octo lines - is there any considerable difference, besides the number of lines, that I should now about?

Hi Rainhard,

You cannot make the SPA-525 phones Octo-Lines, they are only a dual-line phone, so you might as well scratch that of your list.

Some possible suggestions:

* Consider using park slots, for every 10 lines you will require 3-4 of them as this seems to be the ideal ration

* Consider upgrading the reception phone to an Octo-Line, this is almost a must when the reception desk is a busy one and has to deal with higher call volumes

* Consider adding Side Carts to the 525G2 if you do not want to upgrade the reception phone, this way you can house as many Park Slots needed and is easier for the receptionist to manage the call flow... You may want to consider doing this for other users within that environment, for instance I always tried to upgrade users who purchased 504's to have a side cart, this gave them excellent button real-estate.

* Make sure you are running on SWP-8.6 which is the latest one, it has some minor bugs as I understand it, but it also has some call handling features you may require (I have not had the chance to use it yet since I do not actively work with UC-500's anymore )

In the end it will also come down to user training, your biggest problem is if the receptionist is used to using another phone system and is familiar with its call handling procedure, you will have to spend a bit of time working with the receptionist to make sure they understand the new system and best practices with call flow handling.

Let us know if you require more information.

Cheers,

David Trad.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Currently all phones are SPA525G2 with 500S extensions, so I'll have to go with call parks. Currently there are two receptionists and I'm not sure if upgrading the phones is really sufficient, but I will take this in consideration.

Anyway, is the difference between dual and octo lines really just the number of lines? (Why would I only use two when 8 are possible?!)

I upgraded the UC software pack when installing the system in October, but I'll check for updates, maybe that helps.

Thanks for your replies!

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rainhard,

The SPA-525 phone is only a dual-line phone, it is not octo-line, the 7900 series phones are Octo-Line, and it is a huge difference especially when you are placing phones into a high_volume_reception, you need to put in a fit-for-purpose phone which is capable of handling the call volumes correctly.

Using the SPA-525 is OK for low volume receptions is OK, adding a 500S to each reception phone is a big plus but still is not the right method, the phone does not have the capacity to handle so many calls at once, the call park slots will assist with this, but experience tells me that the phones can randomly reboot... Thus is not what you want to happen in a busy environment.

Cheers,

David Trad.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: