cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can the SPA9000 be configured as a router / gateway?

richard
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking at the configuration scenarios for the SPA9000, all the documentation seems to point towards the SPA being configured behind a NAT device / router?

Can the SPA be configured as a gateway, I.e a public IP on the Internet port and a private IP on the LAN port? If so is there any documentation to support this?

Thanks in Advance

Richard Perry

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

juunda
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I do believe the SPA9000 has a DHCP server built into it, you can configure it if you have administrative rights to accept a connection directly from a DSL modem in bridge mode as in PPPoE, you can also configure it to receive a static ip address or a dynamic DHCP from a modem like cablemodem, you can also open ports but you can't do any kind of complex routing capabilities and I do not think there is a firewall and if there is its very very basic, you can do remote management and you can enable Vlans. Besides from that  you are better off as best practise to put it in a secure behind a legitimate router.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Dear Richard;

Although you can do it, this is a non-supported configuration (no documentation). It is not recommended since processing power for routing capability is not big, so this may cause performance impact on the PBX functionality. I suggest you use a separate router.

Regards;

Alberto

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

juunda
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I do believe the SPA9000 has a DHCP server built into it, you can configure it if you have administrative rights to accept a connection directly from a DSL modem in bridge mode as in PPPoE, you can also configure it to receive a static ip address or a dynamic DHCP from a modem like cablemodem, you can also open ports but you can't do any kind of complex routing capabilities and I do not think there is a firewall and if there is its very very basic, you can do remote management and you can enable Vlans. Besides from that  you are better off as best practise to put it in a secure behind a legitimate router.

Thanks.

Dear Richard;

Although you can do it, this is a non-supported configuration (no documentation). It is not recommended since processing power for routing capability is not big, so this may cause performance impact on the PBX functionality. I suggest you use a separate router.

Regards;

Alberto

Hello Both, Thanks for your responses, I guess what I'm trying to do is eliminate the NAT issues but having the SPA9000 operating as a proxy, so the registration to the ITSP is setup on the Internet interface which has a public IP and the registration of the phones is setup on the LAN interface with a private IP.

Many thanks

Richard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: