cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot load SPA firmware via CCA

JOHN THIEN
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for starting a new thread.  I know what has to be done, it just isn't working for me.

I have 7.5.4 firmware downloaded for the SPA525G2.  I've tried dragging this to the UC540 in topology view (obviously using CCA, in my case 3.2 (2)).  I get the "Denied" icon (circle w/ line throgh it).  I've made sure Telnet is installed, I've also disabled UAC, I always get the "Denied" icon.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

BTW, I am trying to drag it to the picture of the UC540, not the phones.  But I've tried the phones, too.  I've tried everything I can think of.

Ideas?                  

13 Replies 13

naarjuna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi John,

There is a similar case related to the SPA firmware via the CCA available in the forum.

Please click here to find the solution.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Naresh Arjunan

Please rate useful posts.

I've made the appropriate changes to a file on the flash card, that file is named:

UC540W-FXO-K9-factory-8.6.1.cfg

The changes I made were to change this line:

tftp-server flash:/phones/525/spa525g-7-5-2a.bin alias spa525g-7-5-2a.bin

So it now says this:

tftp-server flash:/phones/525/spa525g-7-5-4-bt.bin alias spa525g-7-5-4-bt.bin

I have also changed the load lines from the following:

load 525G spa525g-7-5-2a

load 525G2 spa525g-7-5-2a

So they now say:

load 525G spa525g-7-5-4-bt

load 525G2 spa525g-7-5-4-bt

I re-uploaded the file, rebooted the phone, and it still loads the 7-5-2a.bin.  Do I have to tell the UC540 to re-read the configuration file from the flash card into RAM somehow?

Also, the first time I uploaded the .cfg file, I got it in the wrong folder.  I do not see a way to delete files.  Is there a trick to this?  Can I do it from the command-line somehow?

Thanks for your help.  Hopefully I'm close.

Hi John,

When Using CCA you need to make sure of the following:

1. There is no other TFTP server in operation on the system or the network
  2. Only 1 NIC card is enabled, if there is more than one CCA has issues with it so it may be best to disable all other NIC cards until the operation is finished
  3. Make sure any and all Antivirus are turned off, not suspended but turned off, worse culprit for this is the Windows Firewall
  4. When Loading CCA you should right click on it and start it as Admin, I don't know why we have to do that from time to time but it has helped in the past
  5. Make sure all devices connected to the UC-500 are properly added into the topology/site, if you leave a switch out it may not allow for any drag-n-drop to take place

If you have to do it manually, then consider the following instructions:

1. Copy the files to the 535 folder on the compact flash card, you can either do it manually by removing the card (My preference) or you can TFTP it over using a TFTP program
  2. Modify the current TFTP outputs in the configuration to point to this new file
  3. Modify the telephony-service section to reflect the file update
  4. Turn on "debug tftp event" when running terminal monitor so you can see if there are any errors coming up when it is trying to grab the firmware files
  5. Reboot a phone, best to do a hard reboot by pulling the cable waiting 5 seconds and then powering it back up, I find this works best when wanting to force a firmware update

Hope this helps you, post your questions if you have more

Cheers,

David Trad.

**When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon **

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Thank you David.  I've modified the UC540W-FXO-K9-factory-8.6.1.cfg file, is this the correct file?  To modify it, I downloaded it via the file manager, used an editor to make the changes, and then uploaded it again.  Am I doing this correctly?  I'm not sure if I'm modifying the correct file or not.

Hi John,

I have no idea why you are modifying that file, I must not have been clear with my instructions so I apologies for that.

Basically you unzip the SPA firmware on your computer, then you remove the compact flash card from the system and connect it to your computer via a card reader. In there you sill see a directory for the phone firmware and then sub directories of all the firmware's you chose to install at installation time, find your 525 folder and dump the files into there.

Connect the card back into the system, the rest is required to be done via CLI on the configuration of the system, not the factory default file which is what you played with and may now not be usable?? But we can adress that one after.

If you are not familiar with using the CLI then stop right there and don't do anything further, if you have a support contract on this system then log a configuration request with SBSC to assist you with updating the firmware. If you do not then let me know and we can arrange a time for me to remotely assist you and I will help you with the firmware upload.

But please do not go modifying any more files

Cheers,

David Trad.

**When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) **

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

No big worries, I made a backup copy of the original configuration file, I can simply put it back.

But how is the rest done via command-line?  Specifically, how are #2 and #3 in your instructions achieved?

Is there a link to a web page that has the commands I would enter or something?

Hi John,

I Will try and write up the entire instructions for you later today if I get the time to do it, but either way I will write up the entire instructions (No Pictures sorry).

If you have Teamviewer I can connect to your computer remotely and walk you through it and show you how it is done, which is generally my preference, but it might be late at night for you there right now right?

Cheers,

David Trad.

**When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) **

I'm in the midwest (USA), but I'd sort of like to work from documentation, if possible.  I think it would help anyone else that comes along, too.

Hi John,

It will take me time to write it up, but also it is not something I like to publish as people with support contracts on their system should not be using CLI to do ay work on the machine unless they have the right certification to do so, they should be speaking with SBSC who will either do it or find out the reason why CCA cannot be used, as that is the authorized method with all UC500 series systems.

I will be happy to assist, but I also have an obligation to honour Cisco's methodoligies and the way they prefer things to get done.

If you do have a support contract then please get in touch with SBSC, by me instructing you on how to do things via CLI I am in any event potentially making that support contract NULL, so I have to ask the question again as you never responded to my initial question.

Cheers,

David Trad.

I do not have a support contract.  I am a competent C programmer, and have worked on (primarily) Asterisk boxes in the past.  Command-line does not scare me, but the fact that Cisco uses "dir" to list a directory's contents instead of "ls," in spite of the fact that their O/S seems to be more similar to *IX than DOS or CCP/M, is surprising to me.

Hello John,

Just remote the bt t the end of the file so that it will look like the other without bt.

HTH,

Alex

*Please rate helpful posts

It can't be that easy, there has to be something else involved because the changes I made to the configuration file shoudl preclude it from wanting to download the old firmware, but it still does that.  Somehow I have to tell the unit to use that file (with, or without, the -bt) as the firmware to download to the phones.

Hello John,

It could be so easy:)

You tell the phones which firmware to use under the telephony service with load statement.

There you also define if the config files for the phones will be kept on the flash.

With create cnf you you can update the phones config files.

HTH,

Alex

*Please rate helpful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: