Views
Helpful
Replies

CCA 3.2.1 - Changing voice VLAN gets java.lang.nullPointerException

smunzani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to change the default VLAN number for voice to 32 from 100. At the time of apply changes, I get java.lang.nullpointerException error in CCA. If I make changes to the device command line then Cisco would not support + all command line changes are not showing up in the CCA anymore.

How to get out of this frustrating issue?

I know this is not a Java version or laptop issue because I tried latest version of Java on 3 different PC and all of them report this issue.

Thanks,

Sam

7 Replies 7

Arturo Bianchi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I went through something similar because an earlier version of CCA had created a VLAN without assigning an IP, I start to use the 3.2.1 and as I entered on the screens went wrong; I had to do a careful work of CLI to satisfy CCA :-)

In your case I might have followed another path, but I throw there without having tried it ... assuming that everything is via DHCP: I created a new VLAN with a new class of IP and a DHCP pool and only after the active flag "default voice vlan" and restart the phones.

Just last week I made ​​a renumbering of the vlan data and in the end I opted to switch from the CLI because,

among other, by inserting the secondary address on the interface and with a series of steps I was able to operate without interruption of service ... Then I cleaned everything and I have been happy CCA .

Ok, CCA is practical, but is slow and limits the possibilities. I remember, perhaps with the previous version, I have had an absurd error because I had to use an internal networks smaller than a Class C (256 IP): and, for example, reported (non-existent) conflicts between VLANs!!! That said, I would not like you have that problem because CCA is expected as the voice VLAN 100 and enough (despite the flag)!

Arturo.

johschaf
Level 4
Level 4

Hello smunzani,

Can you post the CCA debug here so I can see exactly what CCA is having an issue with? To do that press F2 while logged into CCA and that will open the Java debug window. Then recreate the error, and copy/paste the error output from the debug window here.

Thanks,

-john

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Sam,

Whilst it is a generic message, you can see what the actual issue is that is causing CCA to throw that error at you, if you follow John's suggestion and press F2 when doing any work within CCA, you will see a debug window and a complete trace of all commands that CCA is carrying out on the CLI, and any errors that are returned.

However I suspect that CCA is having issues with a couple of commands that might have been applied with a previous version, it would seem then when you do an upgrade of CCA to a major release it may not be compliant with previous commands created by a former release.

As it turns out this is the case with one client who has called me with an SOS, and I am now left with no choice but to do a factory reset on the system and rebuild it from scratch with CCA 3.2.1, my only hope is that the UC-520 can handle all the most current iOS, otherwise I am in just as much hot water as you

Cheers,

David Trad.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

In my case I had cisco case open. They tried many things and then finally told me that they would not support it since I had used command line to change the default VLAN numbers. Since my system had not gone live yet, I simply factory reset whole thing and started with CCA to solve the issue and get Cisco support back.

Hi Sam,

I guess I'm Glad to hear it, but saddened that you were denied support because of a problem that originated with the software that created the configuration.

So It looks like you ended up doing what I am going to have to do this weekend

I am deeply saddened with the support you got on this, I do not agree with what you were left to do, imagine if this was a live product system, I wonder if Cisco truly want to loose customers with such actions.

Cheers,

David Trad.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

Actually they told me 5-6 times that CLI changes are not supported but still kept trying to solve the issue. After spending 7+ hours I finally gave up to save my time. I could not bill all that time to the customer and didn't want to end up spending a tone of time and then end up with same resolution. That's why it was my personal choice to go with their recommendation of factory reset and use mass import from the spreadsheet(to XML). After doing mass import, I was able to finish up all manual work within 3 hours so it wasn't a bad decision to factory reset.

Good luck to you for the weekend work. I am taking my UC560 live tomorrow night so I will see how perfect I was in my work :-)..

tazpb2000
Level 1
Level 1

I having a similar problem. The java console reports:

SmartPortsGlobalSettings

07:14:03,033 [CLI  ] CLIEngine: Executed: https://192.168.16.1/exec/show/vlan-switch/CR
07:14:03,126 [CLI  ] CLIEngine: Executed: https://192.168.16.1/exec/show/vlan-switch/CR
07:14:03,204 [CLI  ] CLIEngine: Executed: https://192.168.16.1/configure/vlan/100/CR
07:14:03,392 [CLI  ] CLIEngine: Executed: https://192.168.16.1/config-vlan/100/name/Cisco-Voice/CR
07:14:03,392 [DEBUG] Could not set name to extended vlan
07:14:03,470 [CLI  ] CLIEngine: Executed: https://192.168.16.1/config-vlan/100/state/active/CR
07:14:03,470 [DEBUG] Could not set name to extended vlan
07:14:03,548 [CLI  ] CLIEngine: Executed: https://192.168.16.1/exec/show/parse/macro/description/CR
07:14:03,829 [CLI  ] CLIEngine: Executed: https://192.168.16.1/exec/show/running-config/CR
07:14:05,407 [ERROR] java.lang.NullPointerException
07:14:05,407 [ERROR]  at com.cisco.cpnm.features.mcebu.c2K.vlan.C2KVlanConfigTask.fillOldandNewIPInfo(C2KVlanConfigTask.java:1095)
07:14:05,407 [ERROR]  at com.cisco.cpnm.features.mcebu.c2K.vlan.C2KVlanConfigTask.updateDeviceFromMirror(C2KVlanConfigTask.java:840)
07:14:05,407 [ERROR]  at com.cisco.cpnm.frmwrk.gen.wd.WDComponent.updateDeviceFromMirror(WDComponent.java:646)
07:14:05,407 [ERROR]  at com.cisco.cpnm.frmwrk.gen.wd.WDContainer.updateDeviceFromMirror(WDContainer.java:887)
07:14:05,407 [ERROR]  at com.cisco.cpnm.frmwrk.net.wd.EventAwareTask.updateDeviceFromMirror(EventAwareTask.java:419)
07:14:05,407 [ERROR]  at com.cisco.cpnm.frmwrk.gen.wd.WDContainer.updateDeviceFromMirror(WDContainer.java:887)
07:14:05,407 [ERROR]  at com.cisco.cpnm.frmwrk.net.wd.EventAwareTask.updateDeviceFromMirror(EventAwareTask.java:419)
07:14:05,407 [ERROR]  at com.cisco.cpnm.frmwrk.gen.wd.WDTask$SetConfigRunnable.run(WDTask.java:1339)
07:14:05,407 [ERROR]  at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
07:14:05,469 [DEBUG]
[MULTIWINDOW] ****dialogStateChanged state = 1 component = VLANUI ****

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: