Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7800 series extension/multiple directory number handling

adam.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We are currently moving between offices and in our new office we will have Cisco 7800 series (7821 and 7861) phones. My concern in that currently we have a system which lets you do a Multi-ring which means 1 direct line (manager) ring on the dedicated desk phone and on PA's phone.
But we've been told that you can't do like this on Cisco phones, i'm not a fool, i worked and configured older Cisco IP phones and they were able to handle multiple lines (with indication which line is busy and which not) if you had the right one.
Also they are telling we can't use internal numbers (e.g 101 for Reception) without a 4th number as a first(like when you dial external number).
I think they are just trying to sell us the most expensive stuff without having insight into it and we are the guinea pigs.

i would like to ask for an official confirmation from Cisco for the following questions:
- Can 7821 unit handle 2 lines (directory number) at a same time and indicating if a second line (e.g manager's) is busy (red/orange flashing)?
- Is it possible to dial an internal extension number without dial any number before that (e.g 101 instead 8101)

- If yes, what is/are the requirement(s)? (license, config, extra hardware)

Thanks in advance,
Adam

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For the purpose of your question, it's more important what call control software/soft switch you are using than model of your phones. 

Feature you described may be supported by SIP soft switch on SIP phones. I don't know if it's supported on undisclosed soft switch in question. 

i would like to ask for an official confirmation from Cisco for the following questions

Wrong place. This is CSC here - the Cisco Support Community, not the official Cisco support. Volunteers and enthusiasts are responding you here. Buy support contract and call official support to take official confirmation for whatever question.

They are using Cisco Unified Communications Manager - i saw it when we had a "training" about the new phones.

Also which call control software/switches (i assume Cisco) we need to our purpose (to achieve what i'm asked about)?

I'm aware that this a Community, but who else administering if not Cisco Employees?

Also i'm not sure that your response:
"Buy support contract and call official support to take official confirmation for whatever question."
Is the one i'm looking for. I means don't get me wrong but this is not a way to tell someone. Is this really the only option to do that? to buy an expensive support contract to ask couple easy questions (not even so technical nor any complicated one) ? which takes like 10 minutes to explain, really? i'm really disappointed if it's true...

Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with CUCM. I assume it's possible even with it, but I'm unable to advise how to do it. Try to ask in IP Telephony community. Don't forget to disclose CUCM version you are using.

which call control software/switches (i assume Cisco) we need to our purpose (to achieve what i'm asked about)?

As long as you phones can speak SIP, the Asterisk (a free software PBX) can fulfill your requirements.

this is not a way to tell someone

So sorry for the inconvenience - I'm just technician and enthusiast. Not sales manager. I'm saying you best I know in clear using no marketing style of speech.

Is this really the only option to do that

Only I know. Try to call them with no support contract - they may be willing to respond even without it. Or contact a sales manager. He may claim your question to be part of pre-sales support. I'm wishing good luck to you. I'm not allowed to ask Cisco experts regardless my VIP status granted for the technical support I'm providing here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: