Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7940G Stuck on boot | TFTP File not found

Srijit Banerjee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently updated my Cisco 7940 using firmware P003-8-12-00 for SIP including the SIPDefault.cnf file with correct firmware. But after that whenever the phone boots it looks for several files which are not available. Attached here. Also if I disconnect TFTP, it gives TFTP Timeout..

I cannot even install other version too. I tried hard reset using # and number sequence too.

Please guide where I am wrong.

My intention is to use the phone with Asterisk SIP.

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The TLV file is not important.
Someone has mis-configured the configuration of the phone because the phone is looking for files that don't need.
And the files it requires are not found in the TFTP server.

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It doesn't harm if unrelated files doesn't exist. But phone asks configuration files related to the SIP mode you wish to use (SIPdefault.cnf - SIP global configuration and SIP00270DBE0C7D,cnf - phone specific SIP configuration). At least one of them should exists and TFTP server must allow phone to fetch it.

Hi,

I managed to upgrade to P0S3-07-5-00.zip version. But cannot upgrade to latest version -

P0S3-8-12-00.zip . When I am trying to do so, I am getting error Upgrade Failed.

Any suggestions?

You should read release notes:

You cannot upgrade to firmware release 8.1(2)SR2 directly from firmware release 8.0(5) or an earlier release. Upgrade to firmware release 8.1(1) first, then upgrade from release 8.1(1) to release 8.1(2)SR2.

@Dan Lukes wrote:

You should read release notes:

You cannot upgrade to firmware release 8.1(2)SR2 directly from firmware release 8.0(5) or an earlier release. Upgrade to firmware release 8.1(1) first, then upgrade from release 8.1(1) to release 8.1(2)SR2.

Thanks for your response. But I could only find Release 8.2(0) under the download section. There is no 8.1(1). The latest version is Release 8.12(0). Do you have a link to  8.1(1)?

So sorry, I quoted from wrong Release Notes file (related to SCCP flavor of firmware while you are using SIP).

Nether (SIP) Release Notes for Firmware Release 8.12 nor related Readme mentions a mandatory intermediate firmware step. Thus it should not be necessary. So sorry, I has upgraded my 7940 to 8.12 seven years ago. I remember no details.

What files are fetched by phone from TFTP server during boot ? Full list, please. Also, disclose content of OS79XX.TXT file (you created it on tftp server) and it's exact length.

What files are in the default TFTPd32 folder?
The phone is trying to find relevant files and the error messages from the screenshot shows "file not found".
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: