cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Communicator unresolved errors: "Error Updating Locale", "CTL update failed"

Tyler Bennett
Level 1
Level 1

For our Cisco IP Communicator soft phones (used with UC500 series routers) we are seeing the following error messages in the status messages log each time the CIPC software is started:

• "Error Updating Locale"
  • "CTL update failed"

The errors do not appear to be causing issues but I'd like to take whatever action is necessary to resolve the errors. Suggestions?   

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no pratical way to eliminate these messages that are normal and expected.

Why would these error messages be unresolvable, normal or expected?

An error that is normal and expected doesn't seem like much of an error?

Because they relate to functions that  all phones will execute at startup and ASAIK cannot be skipped.

But since the requested files are not needed for normal operation, and you cannot supply dummy files, you are left with the messages.

I realise that this is a really ancient threat... and its now 2016....

But the key is to release local security on the "c:\program files(x86)\Cisco" and "C:\program files (x86)\Cisco Systems" directories in which CIPC and/or its components are installed.

i.e. Grant all users and "Everyone" complete, full control of these directories and their subdirectories. It works a treat with CIPC 8.6.x

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: