Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Phone 7821 does not try to register on Asterisk

I am trying to get a Cisco IP Phone 7821 to register to an Asterisk PBX. But according to my wireshark log it never even tries to register. It just keeps getting its files from the tftp server in a loop every 3 minutes. The phone display says "Registration in progress".

The Asterisk PBX is up and running on a virtual machine and I can make calls between softphones, but the problem is that the Cisco IP Phone never even tries to register.

The tftp server runs on the same VM as the Asterisk. Using the tftp log and wireshark I can see that the phone asks to get the following files in a loop every 3 minutes (in this order and where "mac" is the MAC address of the phone): CTLSEPmac.tlv, ITLSEPmac.tlv, ITLFile.tlv, SEPmac.cnf.xml, /sp-sip.jar, /g3-tones.xml, dialplan.xml. It successfully reads SEPmac.cnf.xml and dialplan.xml. The other files does not exist, but I don't think that is the. problem. The phone has successfully downloaded the software files from the tftp server as pointed out by <loadInformation>sip78xx.12-1-1-12</loadInformation> in the SEPmac.cnf.xml file. That successful download is verified by the tftp server log file and that the Phone Information displays "Active Load sip78xx.12-1-1-12". I have thus ruled out any problems with the tftp server, network configurations, networking hardware etc.

Phone Information display states "Active Server: None". I assume it simply means that the phone has not registered (which I already knew). The IP address & port of the Asterisk server is in the SEPmac.cnf.xml and so is the username & password for the endpoint.

I see nothing strange in the Phone Information display regarding status, network etc. It complains that I have no trust list and that locale is not set, but I cannot imagine that should be a problem as I have no indications of such when I have googled around and searched various sites for solutions.

When checking the wireshark log I see no attempt from the phone to register. (It just loops back to download files from the tftp server.)

I have tried to connect with ssh to the phone with the credentials in the SEPmac.cnf.xml but the connection is refused (according to wireshark logs refused before credentials are sent). I was hoping to be able to do some debugging using that interface.

I have checked the SEPmac.cnf.xml file in detail and it looks ok. I think I understand all options that could be relevant and the phone apparently to a great extent thinks so as well since it has downloaded software files that are referred to mentioned in the file (sip78xx.12-1-1-12) and also has downloaded the dialplan.xml (which also is mentioned in the file <dialTemplate>dialplan.xml</dialTemplate>).

I have run out of ideas. Anybody that has any suggestions of what might be the problem?

Current SEPmac.cnf.xml and dialplan.xml files attached for reference.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
<transportLayerProtocol>4</transportLayerProtocol>

There is no such thing as an option "4":  It is either 1 (TCP), 2 (UDP) or 3 (TLS).  

<natEnabled>false</natEnabled>
<natReceivedProcessing>false</natReceivedProcessing>
<natAddress></natAddress>

Add the following to stop NAT. 

Make sure Asterisk is not talking NAT. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
<transportLayerProtocol>4</transportLayerProtocol>

There is no such thing as an option "4":  It is either 1 (TCP), 2 (UDP) or 3 (TLS).  

<natEnabled>false</natEnabled>
<natReceivedProcessing>false</natReceivedProcessing>
<natAddress></natAddress>

Add the following to stop NAT. 

Make sure Asterisk is not talking NAT. 

I am very grateful!!! The transportLayerProtocol was the error. Thank you for taking the time to investigate and for having the knowledge.

I changed transportLayerProtocol to 2. The phone has now registered to Asterisk.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: