Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO IP Phone SPA 303 - stuck in SOS PhoneInRecoveryMode

Dariusz79
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Could somebody help to recover IP Phone SPA 303 from SOS PhoneInRecoveryMode ?

I've already tried all  of typical recovery option: spa......recovery.exe options (upgrade and firmware recover), tftp.

I have some experience with these problems and recover with success other phones.

The problem is that this one phone doesn't send any packets as other ones in sos mode (i've sniffed it via wireshark).

So if anybody could give any advice to me, any other recovery procedures or producer service tools or something else.

2 Replies 2

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Could somebody help to recover IP Phone SPA 303 from SOS PhoneInRecoveryMode ?

The problem is that this one phone doesn't send any packets as other ones in sos mode (i've sniffed it via wireshark).

Are you pretty sure about it ? Some modern switches may filter packets.

If you did no mistake and phone is sending no packets the you are just out of luck. No way to recover the phone (unless you are experienced hardware hacker). Even Cisco will not help you as SPA303 is EoL (unless you have active maintenance contract).
Either buy a replacement model like Cisco 6851 Phone for MPP or so - or seek for a preowned SPA303 on eBay or elsewhere. Caution - don't buy RC units (units customized for particular service provider) unless you know what you are doing. You may be unable to use it.

Thanks Dan Lukes for your answer.

I've restored this phone. Request of download firmware (from the phone) again starting only if tftpd is working at the same IP address as before was used to (crashed) upgrade  firmware. I was watching ARP packets and it direct me to this way to repair phone.

Best regards Dariusz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: