Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber for iPad

Arturo Bianchi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I tried to understand if it was possible to use even though it is not indicated that it is supported! I tried, but I can not even complete the initial cfg :-( ...and looking in the log, I see:

• On the ipad's side:

553 ERROR [2ffaf000]- [csf.ecc-wrapper][retrieveConfigFile] cannot get config file result=68,err=TFTP: File Not Found

554 ERROR [2ffaf000]- [csf.ecc-wrapper][retrieveConfigFile] download config file failed.

554 ERROR [2ffaf000]- [csf.ecc-wrapper][parseConfig] CMediaPortRangeConfig::parseConfig, config is empty.

554 ERROR [2ffaf000]- [csf.ecc-wrapper][setMediaPortRange] Failed to set customized media port range

560 ERROR [2ffaf000]- [csf.ecc][fetchDevices] curl error 7 : "Couldn't connect to server"

561 ERROR [2ffaf000]- [csf.ecc][fetchDevices] Request failed : "https://10.1.11.1:8443/ccmcip/Personalization"

561 ERROR [2ffaf000]- [csf.ecc.api][authenticate] authenticate() failed [eCouldNotConnect]

• On the UC500's side:

010555: Dec 17 10:16:54.553: TFTP: Looking for jabber-config.xml

And the first-time configuration stops there, with only the ability to send a bug report. I used UC500 with SW 8.6.1 and Cisco Jabber for iPAD 9.1.2 (20380); I may do something to connect the UC500 from the iPad? When will be supported?

Arturo.

9 Replies 9

danplacek
    Level 4
    Level 4

This is not currently supported on the UC500 and there has been no indication that it ever will be.

The UC500 runs a slightly modified version of CME -- generally a few version numbers behind. The current versions of CME do not have this feature either, so I can say with some certainty that you won't see this for awhile, if at all.

We will not get it at all, because per Cisco statement, UC500 will never get newer IOS nor CME.

That means, it's dead in the water.

Paulo: Could you clarify what you mean by "UC500 will never get newer IOS nor CME"?

Daniel,

I try to answer... The UC500 uses an hardware that does not support the latest version of CME .  So it's highly unlikely to be followed by further implementations.

PS: around there is some thread about this thing.

Arturo.

Actually, UC500 hardware could support new software without any problem.

It is purely Cisco's decision to not do that. That has been  disclosed in 'software packs' thread.

Paulo:

I read that thread, and while it is *hinted* at... no Cisco employee came right out and said that the UC500 would not be getting any more software updates... did you see something I didn't?

Alberto Montilla 30-nov-2012 17.21

Dear partners;

UC500 is a solution that has been available for several years, considered stable and mature from IOS perspective. There are many partners doing a successful business practice with the solution. Partners can continue doing business with the UC500 solution as per today.

As you know, Cisco general policy for these products is to announce End of Sale 6 months before the actual end of sale date, as well as committed to support the product for 3 years after end of Sale (note this is a generic rule, which may have exceptions). There is no End of Sale announcement issued for the UC500.

The goal in UC500 engineering is to focus on quality of the product; there are no plans to upgrade the solution to newer CME versions, but staying on the 8.6 release. For several years we have decoupled CME roadmap from UC500 roadmap, and have been selective about which and when we incorporate the new CME releases based on the need of the Small Business market and UC500 partners and customers. We just released 8.6.1 release which added SPA51X Gigabit ethernet phones, plus resolution of several defects. We will continue looking at quality.

I would strongly recommend that Cisco at least get the UC500 up to CME 9.0 before tombstoning it.  There are TONS of installs out there and the features added in 9 are very desirable. The BE3000 isn't ready for prime time, and doesn't have the same feature set.  I would rather the UC500 stay around an extra 6 months than take a step backwards into the BE3000. 
    Also enabling partners to use existing UC500 platforms to integrate into BE3000 or BE6000 (as edge CUBE, PRI/BRI, or FXO routers) installs moving forward would be an extremely smart move so that partners don't have to go to customers and tell them that their new UC500 system is now EOL and there is not a clear migration roadmap for them.

Why 9.1?
      SIP Phones are basically crippled and useless under 8.6 (need monitor, watch,speed dial, sidecar support)
      SNR for unregisted ephone-dns for truly mobile workers

Enhanced video support

and yes, support for jabber on ipad and/or integration with webex connect IM.

These systems are still going to be around a while, and partners are still actively selling them.  Commit to getting feature parity with current version CME prior to ending support.