cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SLM2008T and Linksys RVS4000 compatibility?

voodooaddict
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to setup a UC320W setup for an organization that sounds to be the perfect size, and has the perfect need. The UC320w + 6 SPA504g phones fits perfectly in the budget of this 3 person tax firm, that expands to 6 people durring the busy season.  They have 3 incoming PSTN voice lines and one fax line, and they like the prospect of increasing thier line capability durring busy months with a SIP provider.

The way the UC320 is described, and for the user base size... You'd think it should work with existing network switches and Small Buisness NAT devices.  However from documentation and posts here it's clear that the only recomended way to use the UC320 is with EWS500s, SPR500s and even the 300 series switches.

Currently they have a Linksys RVS4000 as the NAT device, a Cisco 200 Series Gigabit Smart Switch SLM2008T, and an unmanaged Netgear Prosafe model.  Before reading all the talk of the 300 series and the EWS500s I was planning on replacing the Netgear wtih the PoE version of the 200 Series.  But now I'm concerned that might not be sufficient. With the placement of the offices they either need 2 switches in different locations of the building or we need to call in a contractor to run more drops to the main closet)

If there's no major concerns with the 200 series, great we can go ahead with the order.  If howerver the UC320 requires all the switches be EWS500s and 300 Series ... then the additional cost means they migh as well look at other vendors for an under 10 user solution.  Aditionally to add just the few more port we need, we might as well add an SPA8800 instead of an EWS500.

I apreciate any prompt feedback as we are under the gun to implement something quickly as thier old PBX system has crashed, is no longer suported by the manufacturer, and the company that put it in no longer exists.

Edit: I had fogotten to add that there's only one ethernet drop at some of the desks, so some of the the SPA504g will need to be a switch for a PC as well. It's small buisness.. you work with what you've got.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Christopher,

The SG300 & 200 series smart switches, SA500, ESW500, and SRP500 series devices have all been tested in solution labs.  The UC320W series of Smart Design documents provide information and requirements for implementing a UC320W solution with  switches, routers, etc.  While the examples use the above devices in their examples and configuration, you can use other devices that meet the requirements.  Devices like the ESW and Small Business Series Smart Switches make is easy to implement the required VLANs with QoS, reducing installation times.

On the surface I don't think you will have any problems with the devices you want to use.  I'll suggest that you make sure firmware is the latest, and follow the VLAN and QoS setting recommendations in the Smart Design Guides.  I believe the RVS4000 has a SIP ALG so you will want to be aware of that when you go to test your SIP trunks.

Hope this helps.

Chris

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello Christopher,

The SG300 & 200 series smart switches, SA500, ESW500, and SRP500 series devices have all been tested in solution labs.  The UC320W series of Smart Design documents provide information and requirements for implementing a UC320W solution with  switches, routers, etc.  While the examples use the above devices in their examples and configuration, you can use other devices that meet the requirements.  Devices like the ESW and Small Business Series Smart Switches make is easy to implement the required VLANs with QoS, reducing installation times.

On the surface I don't think you will have any problems with the devices you want to use.  I'll suggest that you make sure firmware is the latest, and follow the VLAN and QoS setting recommendations in the Smart Design Guides.  I believe the RVS4000 has a SIP ALG so you will want to be aware of that when you go to test your SIP trunks.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Mr. Edgeworth,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.  This is exactly what I needed to hear.  Some additional setup/time to get the UC320 solution working with the SLM2008s is not a problem for this client.  They are more sensative to the upfront equiptment costs.  This sensativity to equiptment costs is what made the UC320w and SPA504 phones so attractive.

- Chrsitopher Burkhart