Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SPA 303 IP Phone- Orange lights, unregistered from network

ttran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

My company is using Vonage online PBX with Cisco SPA 303 IP phones, purchased direct from CDW and provisioned accordingly via Vonage provisioning instructions and tools. The issue I'm having is that from time to time, user phones show all orange lights and they have no dial tone. According to the documentation, orange lights indicate that the device is unregistered. By unplugging the power to the phone (resetting) it comes back online. Here are some notes:

• When phone is all orange, computers plugged into the SW port still function.
  • DHCP server lease has been reduced to 12 hours to combat limited IP address issues.
  • Network bandwidth is not an issue as we are running 100Mb D/U and tested at a sustained 80Mb/s in peak hours.
  • Once a phone is all orange, it does not recovery itself at any time.

I will do some more troubleshooting but wanted to start a discussion to see if anyone can shed some light on similar experiences, if any. This is what I will do:

• Once I unplug and replug, I will see if the device is issued the same IP address or not.
  • Tomorrow, 3/3/15, I am doing a network overhaul with configured switches and Class B addressing so my DHCP lease can set it back to normal, 7 days.
  • I will re-provision affected phones to see if an old configuration is the problem.

Thanks all in advance for any feedback.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Everyone,

The issue was on the firewall device. The firewall device, a SonicWall TZ210, had a checkbox for Consistent NAT which was left unchecked. I found this bit of information when I searched Vonage's site. Here is the link for reference.

https://support.vonagebusiness.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1017

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

True. Orange light and missing dialtone mean that registration to SIP proxy has been lost.

So you need troubleshoot either network issue or Vonage issue.

Capture SIP packets related to affected phone. It will disclose you some important information. Also consider turning syslog&debug on. Captured syslog&debug messages are valuable source for the purpose of analysis.

The most important question is ...

... are REGISTER requests issued by phone responded by Vonage ?

Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I believe the SIP packets will tell me what I need to know to troubleshoot further, thanks for that suggestion. 

Syslog and Debug, are those on the physical phones themselves? I'll check tomorrow when I'm in the office to see if that's what you mean. 

I would assume sure yes that the register request are responded by Vonage how else would they function both before and after plugging and re plugging? Something is getting dropped and not establishing. Like you said network issue or Vonage issue is what I need to find out. 

I will do some more digging and post up. Thanks Dan!

Syslog and Debug, are those on the physical phones themselves?

See picture. Note you need to arrange external syslog server (it's IP needs to be configured in). There are some syslogd servers even for Windows avaiable.

Everyone,

The issue was on the firewall device. The firewall device, a SonicWall TZ210, had a checkbox for Consistent NAT which was left unchecked. I found this bit of information when I searched Vonage's site. Here is the link for reference.

https://support.vonagebusiness.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1017

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: