cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SPA504G freeze

markprice9
Level 1
Level 1

We have 7 SPA504G phones recently deployed, connected to an ESW 520 24P PoE switch.

At very random times, a phone will "freeze" such that the screensaver is stuck and the time displayed on it stands still.  Pressing keys on the phone including menu button do not show any results on the screen of the phone.

Oddly, I was able to ping the phone when this happened and also load the web interface in my browser.  The web interface shows the current time on the phone being the same time that is "frozen" on the screensaver.

This doesn't seem to be related to a calling or QOS issue as my phone froze at 6:18am before anyone was in the office.

All phones are running the current latest firmware, 7.4.6

95 Replies 95

I also have the same problem.   I use Nextiva's hosted service with 4 SPA504g phones.  I chose Cisco phones because I thought they would be the most stable and I have had good experiences with cisco products in the past.  It seems to be not the case in this instance. 

I have called Nextiva 4-5 times about this, have upgraded the firmware 2 times, and am currently running 7.4.9c.  Nextiva's customer service told me this was going to fix the problem but it didn't.  The upgrade did make the freeze-up's occur less frequently but they do still occur.  I did have the phones all coming out of a switch but removed it and have all phones plugged directly into the router.  This also seemed to lengthen the time between freeze-ups but they still occur. 

I guess I'm going to have to get on this list to try out the new firmware.  I just hope it comes soon.  It's just really annoying that I'm the one that was trusted to purchase the phone system and now everyone in the office is giving me grief about the phones freezing up.  Everyone else wanted to go with an older system with the local phone company but I convinced them to go with this setup. We are a startup and this is not helping with our image.  When people call and the phone doesn't work it makes us look like we don't have our act together.  No good for a 1 year old insurance agency desperately in need of clients!

Best of luck to everyone.  I hope this fix comes out soon.

There is a 7.5.1 update you can download and install from cisco

fishmarketing
Level 1
Level 1

I did some reconfiguration on our network in preparation for a VPN installation, and I changed the IP ranges that our internal network uses. Instead of the standard 192.168.x.x, I switched to IP's in the 10.x.x.x range. Since I did so, I haven't had a single phone on our network freeze for just over three weeks now - after experiencing almost daily freezes on some for quite some time. I didn't change anything else since the last attempt to fix, and I haven't updated any firmware yet, either.

I hope this helps someone else out there.

neil.woolloff
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Have many customers also experiencing this and glad not only people.

we went to 7-4-9c and still same issue

have applied 7-5-1 today in vain hope it works.  will fidn out in due course and update results.  may be a while as upgraded them to 7-4-9c about 4or5 weeks ago and we all thought was resolved until today.

NeilW

7.5.1a does not fix the issue. 

We decided to stop purchasing the Cisco phones, going with Polycom.  The 942 (Linksys) works great, the 504G remains problematic.

luca1cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

We are having a similar problem... transfering a call from an extension to another one. The last phone engaged on the conversation freeze and we need to power cicle the phone.

Cisco IP Phone SPA504G with latest formware 7.5.1a

Any idea? The Support said the problem is't related to the phone ???

Luca

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: