Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SPA504G IP Phone VOIP Setup

I require some help setting up VOIP with Optus ISP & a Cisco IP Phone SPA504G.

The phone is connected to power. The phone is connected via ethernet cable from "SW" port to ethernet port in modem supplied by ISP, Optus.

The phone does not have a dial tone. How do I complete setup? What more else do I have to do?

Thanks for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So there's a public phone operator providing services to you. Sagemcom router connects your old analog phone to PBX. According the informations you provided so far, Optus is both IP and VoIP provider for you.

It seems the following article apply to your case:

Why does Optus not give out the VOIP account information?

assuming it's true, the Optus doesn't allow you to use third party VoIP phone including SPA504G one. You may either

1. ask Optus to disclose VoIP configuration values (may the the article is obsolete or not true at all)
  2. follow article's advise - change IP provider
  3. retain Optus as IP provider, but forget Optus VoIP service - find&use other (independent) VoIP provider to connect SPA504G

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

bijpraka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will have to add the extension details. Proxy, user id, password etc.

Did you try checking the SPA admin guide? 

Thanks.

Thanks for your response. Apologies my delayed reply. I am using this as a home phone. Do I still need extension details? Where do I get proxy, user id, password details from? My ISP (Optus) does not supply them. Can you please link me to the SPA admin guide? The phone has an IP Address and the latest firmware. My router modem (sagemcom) has an RJ11 port for connecting simple phones and works fine. Surely I can do it over Ethernet as well though?

It depends. Two phones are required for call. You are speaking about one phone only. Unless we know how/where is the second phone and how both phones are/should be interconnected (at VoIP level, not on IP layer) we can provide just random (and may be confusing) advice. Please disclose VoIP topology of phone network we are speaking of.

I don’t fully understand it myself. We want to replace the simple phone that connects simply via RJ11 to RJ11 port on router (which has a phone symbol).

We have a Cisco spa504g phone. That has Ethernet from router to SW and Ethernet from PC to PC. It is also plugged into power.

The Cisco phone connects to internet as my pc has internet.

Maybe VOIP is via RJ11 and not RJ45?

Do I need an SPA112 to connect to RJ11 port on router than Ethernet to Cisco SPA504G?

I’m not allowed to plug RJ11 from router into Cisco AUX port as mentioned in the manual.

Maybe I need a real deal Technician to setup for me? Are there any in Tasmania?

OK. Step-by-step. First, we need to analyze your current configuration. Lets speak about old gold analog phone connected to RJ11 port of your router. You can call from such phone to ...

1. just another phone in your home only
  2. public phone network

?

The phone can call to anyone. Just like a home phone not using VOIP, it can call anyone. Which is what I want to use the Cisco for, mobile phones & landlines.

So there's a public phone operator providing services to you. Sagemcom router connects your old analog phone to PBX. According the informations you provided so far, Optus is both IP and VoIP provider for you.

It seems the following article apply to your case:

Why does Optus not give out the VOIP account information?

assuming it's true, the Optus doesn't allow you to use third party VoIP phone including SPA504G one. You may either

1. ask Optus to disclose VoIP configuration values (may the the article is obsolete or not true at all)
  2. follow article's advise - change IP provider
  3. retain Optus as IP provider, but forget Optus VoIP service - find&use other (independent) VoIP provider to connect SPA504G

According to the manual, I quote "Do not plug a telephone line cord into the port marked AUX. The RJ-11 port marked
AUX is reserved for connection with the Cisco Attendant Console. It is not for use
as a telephone line port or IP device connection." Which means I can't just use the phone like the analog phone via RJ11?

SPA504G can't be used as replacement for analog phone.  SPA504G is digital (SIP) phone. It can't connect to analog phone line at all. RJ11 AUX connector is dedicated to other purposes here.

First you need to to perform a manual reset and follow these instructions to set up your phone https://www.inphonex.com/support/cisco-spa504g-configuration.php

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: