cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Compatable Equipment ?

SEBassman
Level 1
Level 1

Will my Cisco 7940 VOiP Phone work with my Cisco WS-C3560-48PS-S Catalyst 3560 Series PoE-48 Switch? Will Vonage work as a VOiP service provider or should I use something different? Any other things I should know or need  to make it all work?

Thank you,

SEBassman

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As a "basic" phone, i. e.  take calls/make calls, then yes.  It will work. 

However, Cisco-branded phones are "challenging" to get it to work on non-Cisco-branded call managers.  

Honestly, I would not touch a 7940/7960 phone.  I'd go for the 79x1/79x2/79x5 for Asterisk/3CX call managers.

Hi Leo, HI, I have 4 of these phones all ready. I am a tech (35yrs) Have network management, programming, and coding experience, so I like to take the challenge.  Just never had the need to work with Voice over IP phones. Mostly that is all I want is for placing and taking calls.  Voice mail would be good to take calls if I am out. Have the phones and the switch just need to know what last parts (software?) I need to pull it together. I sure there is something that manages and configures the phone. If I picked say a 3rd party as an example is that how I would port my current phone number? Recommended services? Thank you so much for your time and help.

Find a VoIP provider and tell them you have an existing landline that you want to port.  Land line porting is free and if your provider wants to charge you, turn around and walk away. 

It depends on the country we are speaking of, isn't it ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: