Views
Helpful
Replies

Complete redeployment of BE6000 VM's, now VM's not communicating

Kenneth McCoig
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all-

After receiving my new BE6000 a few weeks ago I promptly began testing and modifying settings which ultimately broke the system. Without getting into the details (at this point they are inconsequential) I had so many problems I decided to delete all the VM's and redeploy using the .ova files from the OVA-ISO folder.

I began by reinstalling Prime Collaboration Provisioning 10.6.0.1015. Install successful.

Next installed Call Manager 10.5.2.10000-5, selected options for First Node and setup NTP, DNS, etc, installation completed database install. Installation was successful. Then I applied patch 10.5.2.11900-3 which was also successful.  

Next installed Unity Connection from the same .iso as the Call Manager. Installation errors out (See screenshot uploaded)! Installation complains connectivity validation failed with First Node. Eventually I am asked to re-enter First Node Access Configuration. I am telling the installation to use the Call Manager as First Node. I enter the host name and IP, along with security password, say OK, and the same error comes up.

To see if the other installs would have a problem I attempted IM & Presence install and Contact Center Express install, both installations are erroring out on configuration validation.

Cisco TAC has joined me for remote webex to assist and they have no idea what is wrong. Do any of you know what I could be doing wrong? There are really very limited ways this could be getting screwed up but I have found it! Thank you in advance for your help.

-Kenny

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"Next installed Unity Connection from the same .iso as the Call Manager. Installation errors out (See screenshot uploaded)! Installation complains connectivity validation failed with First Node. Eventually I am asked to re-enter First Node Access Configuration. I am telling the installation to use the Call Manager as First Node"

You should be installing the first Cisco Unity Connection server as the first node. For unity connection call manager is not the first node.

The only product that will have first node as CUCM server is IM&P. Before attempting to install the IM&P, you must first go to CUCM > Server>add the IM&P server there.

Try again with  installing the Unity Connection and at the screen Is this First node - Select yes.

Let me know if you still have any issues.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"Next installed Unity Connection from the same .iso as the Call Manager. Installation errors out (See screenshot uploaded)! Installation complains connectivity validation failed with First Node. Eventually I am asked to re-enter First Node Access Configuration. I am telling the installation to use the Call Manager as First Node"

You should be installing the first Cisco Unity Connection server as the first node. For unity connection call manager is not the first node.

The only product that will have first node as CUCM server is IM&P. Before attempting to install the IM&P, you must first go to CUCM > Server>add the IM&P server there.

Try again with  installing the Unity Connection and at the screen Is this First node - Select yes.

Let me know if you still have any issues.

-Terry

Terry - thank you for the fast response. I have gone back in the Unity Connection install and told it to be the first node. It is going through the database install now.

While I wait for that to finish, quick question: I assume I won't have any problems if I leave the Call Manager install as-is? I am guessing no since you say the IM&P has to point to it.

Clearly I don't have a grasp on the first node concept like I thought I did.

Thanks again, will update back when this finishes.

-Kenny

If it installed successfully it should be fine. For IM&P you just need to add the IM&P server from CUCM GUI. I would suggest you access your CUCM GUI start all services etc, and then proceed with IM&P and UCCX installs. See step 4.

Ref: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_I95AD2FE_00_installing-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_I95AD2FE_00_installing-cucm-100_chapter_011.html#CUP0_TK_P8901E0C_00

Perform pre-installation tasks for IM and Presence nodes

You must complete the following pre-installation tasks before you begin to install the IM and Presence software.

Procedure

Step 1  Ensure that the Cisco Unified Communications Manager and IM and Presence software versions are compatible.
    Step 2  Gather all the information you need to complete the installation and configuration of the IM and Presence software.
    Step 3  For every node in your cluster, create virtual machines using the Virtual Server Template (OVA file) recommended for your current release.

Different OVA files are available; choose the correct OVA file based on the environment in which you are deploying Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

Step 4  Configure subscriber nodes on the publisher node before you install a subscriber node. From Cisco Unified CM Administration on the publisher node, choose System > Server and configure the IP address for the subscriber nodes. For more information, see the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide.
    Step 5  Ensure that the IM and Presence server has network access to the Unified Communications Manager publisher server.

You can ping Unified Communications Manager from other servers.

Step 6  Ensure that you turn on the Cisco AXL Web Service on the associated Unified Communications Manager server.

Select Tools > Service Activation in Cisco Unified Serviceability.

Step 7  If you use DNS, ensure that you have configured the hostname of the new IM and Presence server on the DNS server and that the DNS server can resolve the hostname of the Unified Communications Manager publisher server and of other IM and Presence servers (if any).
    Caution   

Cisco recommends that you use the same DNS servers between IM and Presence and Unified Communications Manager. If you use different DNS servers, it is likely to cause abnormal system behavior. Both Unified Communications Manager and IM and Presence must either use or not use DNS because Cisco does not support mixed-mode deployments. If you are using the multinode feature in IM and Presence, see the Deployment Guide for IM and Presence Service on Cisco Unified Communications Manager for DNS configuration options.

First node concept is simple:
    CUCM Cluster: First installed CUCM is first node or Pub and you select - yes at :"Is this First node option"

CUC: Same as above

UCCX: Same as above

IM&P is now merged with CUCM: So for the first server as well, it will ask you for first node details, which you enter the CUCM First node or pub server.

Let me know if you have any further question and please do rate all helpful posts.

-Terry

Everything finished installing successfully. Thank you for your help!

Good one  !!  :)

Glad to know I was of help. See you around.

-Terry

Also, Kenny... just a heads up... when we scrapped a VM and redeployed, it messed up our licensing because it gave the new VM a different serial number.  (We've been working with TAC for months trying to get it all straightened out.)

Our conclusion:  The licensing is a nightmare... do it right the first time!  :)

Blaine

Luckily I hadn't loaded anything yet. I tried but my upgrade licenses wouldn't take. Turns out I had to wait (and still waiting) for Cisco Licensing to get back with me because they needed to generate some upgrade licensing from my CME to CM and CUE to CU.

Regardless, thanks for the tip!