cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration - Sip trunk over Broadband with 4G as a backup

Mark Verwey
Level 1
Level 1

I have been tasked to setup a 2951 for SIP on a Broadband circuit.  The second part of this is to add a backup solution because we all know how reliable broadband is, it never goes down (now that's a lie), hence the reason for the backup plan.  Our company uses 4G all over the place for data as a backup solution for the data side with Cradle Points and that's probably my easiest option as far as getting hardware, even though maybe not the best solution.  I just ordered a broadband circuit so that I can build this and test everything before I deploy this type solution.  I am going to but a small Voip phone system behind everything that is already working but using one of those expensive ISDN/PRI circuits, this will be a way to reduce the cost of operation for that site, however since they have less than 10 people according to our SIP provider it shouldn't cause any issues as long as we don't have to run data over it as well.  The SIP provider said from their side they can set it so that if they cant connect via the primary circuit (broadband) then they can send the SIP signaling to the 4G solution.

My problem is while I have designed and build out our SIP solution connection with a dedicated SIP trunk with a failover solution at another site connected to the network from the same SIP provider.  I'm hoping someone out their has some insight they are willing to share on how to configure the router (Cisco 2951) to use the broadband connection and have the Cradle Point as a backup when that signal goes down, then switch back to the broadband when it comes back up.  From what I've already read using BGP is the best solution but I've never configured BGP and some assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your advice... Mark

0 Replies 0